Analog IC switches, how to use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been looking at regular eletromechanical relays, and they seem to be real good, but they get to be reletively expensive once you get a couple dozen going, plus they take some time and power. Then looking though the Mouser catalog I notice all these Analog IC switches that take hardly any power and have switch times in the nanosecond times. Can these be used just like regular relays, as in feed them 5V or whatever and they switch?

These things look like the great alternative, but didn't know if there were any drawbacks. Also this would be for low voltage levels, like switching inputs on a pre-amp or something, so they don't need to be built like a tank.

Thanks,
David

There are a few very good analog switches out there. The drawbacks are small or few, distortion and noise. In a normal high level (0.1-1 V) application analog switches are good, today.

The cheapest I can think of is 4066 CMOS but Analog Devices (amoung others) has good types. Some types have smooth, silent and click-free switching.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hybrid fourdoor said:
I've been looking at regular eletromechanical relays, and they seem to be real good, but they get to be reletively expensive once you get a couple dozen going, plus they take some time and power. Then looking though the Mouser catalog I notice all these Analog IC switches that take hardly any power and have switch times in the nanosecond times. Can these be used just like regular relays, as in feed them 5V or whatever and they switch?

These things look like the great alternative, but didn't know if there were any drawbacks. Also this would be for low voltage levels, like switching inputs on a pre-amp or something, so they don't need to be built like a tank.

Thanks,
David

David, it may be usefull to do a search. There was at least one thread where this was discussed, inluding comprehensive pro-cons of various types and app notes.

Jan Didden

peranders said:
There are a few very good analog switches out there. The drawbacks are small or few, distortion and noise. In a normal high level (0.1-1 V) application analog switches are good, today.

The cheapest I can think of is 4066 CMOS but Analog Devices (amoung others) has good types. Some types have smooth, silent and click-free switching.

from what I have read, the CMOS 4066 switches should really be avoided for high quality audio -- they have pretty high switching resistance and I am not quite certain that you don't get some switching artifacts and crosstalk.

one solution which is low noise, low crosstalk, low distortion are opamps with disable function. i would just point out, however, that I have found you have to assert the DISABLE to HIGH in order to enable the opamp (the manufacturer states that it can float.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.