Easy-Cheap-DIY-SMD mounting guide.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A little something I threw together.

NOTE: The cheap Radio Scrap Iron is as a second to be used with your main 1 for heating the SMD component from both sides simultaneously. This is ONLY to aid in removing many components. It is not used for assembly.

Attachments

• smd0.jpg
    smd0.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 482
sam9 said:
Sometime ago I say a description of a hot air pencil made from Radio shack parts. Have you any experience/familiarity with this device?

Look for the 25$ heated soldier pump.

Remove the pump. Add a fish tank air pump on a separate footswitch & voila. I run mine at 240v with a little step up transformer, the extra heat removes the need for a heated soldier table.

For a heated SMD soldier table, get a 10$ mini 1 stove top cooker & a 1 rectangular near all flat frying pan.

These are other extra cheap DIY methods.

Re: THanx

Coolin said:
for a novice it helps.

This is exactly for whom the document was written. Novice engineers / experimenters who never worked with SMD before may not realize some of these simple steps which make good flat SMD work with a normal iron possible. Or, that the purchases items on page 1 would last for a few thousand 2-3 pin components. Over 500 8 pin, or 14 pin SMD ICs.

I've never used multiple irons to remove a two "lead" device. I always use the method of building up a little extra solder on one side, then quickly switching the iron to the opposite side and "pushing" the component off the pad. Works like a charm. I've never ruined a component this way, even ceramic caps.

tiroth said:
I've never used multiple irons to remove a two "lead" device. I always use the method of building up a little extra solder on one side, then quickly switching the iron to the opposite side and "pushing" the component off the pad. Works like a charm. I've never ruined a component this way, even ceramic caps.

This is usually what I do too, but if you have 10 or more to change, having that 5$ second iron & using the 2 like a heated tweeser to pick off all the resistors is really less messy & the removed resistors are really clean for future use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.