Ansar caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have used them - but not done much comparison.

The CPA series 5uF 10uF 400V work well in my crossovers, and as B+ capacitors in circuits which do not circulate signal current in the supply capacitor (shunt cascode stages).

I could not detect any dramatic difference between CPAs and LCR AG series, in B+ circuits.

I have more extensively used LCR AG 1uF & 4,7uF for caps just after the rectifier in quasi-choke input supplies. I think these are top flight in this position - HUGELY better than motor-run MKPs - which sound very poor to my ears.

Now, LCR have acquired the AMPOHM product range, and their FP-CA-AU 30uF 630V MKP audio types are worth the cost. Use in cathode bypass and B+ caps.

LCR Capacitors - Capacitors and EMC filters

FP-CA-30-AU - AMPOHM WOUND PRODUCTS - AUDIO CAPACITOR, 30UF, 630V | Farnell United Kingdom

I have always liked Ansar as one of the better sounding of the inexpensive polyprop caps, I generally prefer them to Solen. They also respond well to bypass with a small value Hovland or similar.

I normally get them from Cricklewood
Cricklewood Electronics

I can't offer any advice on LCRs as it is too long since I last tried them, but it looks like they are worth a go.

ICW is the other UK made range, and their Clarity Caps have a good rep, although I haven't tried them
Clarity Cap

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I use the Clarity SA in my XO, and the ESA as supply caps in some of my audio equipment. The SA was huge step up in the cross-overs compared to the Solens they replaced - more detail, and a much cleaner sound overall.. I was a little surprised actually as I expected very minor differences at most. They aren't expensive relatively speaking and offer a lot of bang for the buck.. (quid :D )

The ESA are in locations (inside the driver stage output current loop of my amps) where they are audible and they were a significant improvement over anything I had tried. (I do have them shunted with smaller Kimber caps as well.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.