Quick question about op-amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im messing around with Circuit Maker and when I place op-amps I can just rename an op-amp right? I mean as long as they have the same kind of inputs they theoretically should operate the same. Like a 8 pin op-amp is the same as another 8 pin op-amp. The differences are gonna be how well in real life they actually perform as an ideal op-amp. Like when it says UA741, I can easily just rename it NE5532 (with the assumption its only representing one side of a NE5532), and it should still come out the same right?

Thanks,
David

Any CM pros out there?

If we forget that you are using EDA software for a minute and can probably get the actual SPICE model for the specific opamp somewhere...

It's my understanding that since the 741 was introduced, opamps have been such excellent and consistent devices that the signals they produce are almost entirely controlled by the resistors that surround them. We design a circuit with the "ideal" opamp then choose the IC to match the input and output signals we need.

The 5532 is a dual and will have the added problem of channel separation but it is a good device. Maybe CM has a generic dual opamp you can use... it may help with the PCB layout. If you can get the spice model, it might give very slightly different simulations vs. the "ideal" opamp. I haven't used CM in a long time, so I can't be quite sure. Any CM pros out there?

:)ensen.

I don't know about Circuit Maker but my experience with other SPICE engines suggests that:

A- If the subcircuit associated with the the symbol is a generic opamp, just changing the label on it "probably" does not alter the simulation.

B- However, that is only "probably". If the the software has a subcircuit available and associated with the lable, then by changing the lable you may be invoking the other subcircuit.

The core thing you should check in the documentation is how does Circuit Maker associate what you see as symbols on the screen to specific subcircuits. Different software does this in different ways ranging from simple and easy to serious mystery and aggravation.

Every time i have done this it has not allowed a valid simulation getting some error part not found. Had to reinstall this program one so as to get an accurate lab. so ya download a spice model and hope CM reconises the file. Another porblem i have had is with Or cad hijacking all other circuit and pcb files evean when i perset what defaults i wanted. Additionaly or cad captures unrelated files as its own so you can evean open it with the proper program after you assign it to open with..... Always open this type of ile with...... Still to no avail......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.