OPA2134 replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'd like to change the OPA2134 in my Prodigy Cube DAC with some other OPAMP. I'm just casual user and not sure which one can I use. User manual says:
Texas Instrument's socket-type and replaceable OPAMP2134 allows user to enjoy user's own sound taste by replacing OPAMP with another.
...Regular OPAMP, DIP8 type, that can be driven by more than +-5V (for 627 series, 8620,8610 series, 5532 series etc.)

Could you post some suitable choices for my Prodigy Cube, please? I've thought about OPA2228...

I just A/Bed OPA2134 and LME49720 in the input buffer & output stages of a Bozak ISO-X. (TL072 was the original.)

I wasn't expecting to hear any difference but couldn't believe the improvement in clarity with the LME49720 chip. The OPA2134, in this application, was not nearly as striking an improvement.

rs

I just A/Bed OPA2134 and LME49720 in the input buffer & output stages of a Bozak ISO-X. (TL072 was the original.)

I wasn't expecting to hear any difference but couldn't believe the improvement in clarity with the LME49720 chip. The OPA2134, in this application, was not nearly as striking an improvement.

rs

When I hear 'striking' improvements I tend to get out the scope just to verify there isn't something 'funny' going on.

Everything seems OK electronically. In this case, I think the opamp choice was made to give a "forgiving sound" since the unit is intended to be a playable instrument.

Indeed, the original opamp in all its "warmth" (tee hee) was hiding a minor resonant peak in the high midrange that comes out in certain circumstances. So, TL072 might have been chosen as a cover-up in addition to being inexpensive.

rs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.