Proper Grounding Scheme - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2003, 04:21 AM   #31
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Kilowatski wrote: "Not true, the reason is about 9 posts back."
Are you responding to my post? If so, which part is not true?

I'm dense, so even though I check back about 9 posts, I didn't see the connection. I saw something about GFI but that didn't seem to relate closely to my comments. And nothing about DPDT power switches.
Old 14th October 2003, 10:48 AM   #32
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by sam9
The moderator correct me if I'm wrong - one precaution against hot and neutral being reversed is to use a DPDT or DPST power switch when I buld something plus fusing both entry lines.
Hi Sam,

Your not wrong, but that won't cut it for many electrical inspectors. In some cities where inspection are required to sell a house or for new construction, or in the case of an FHA sale, the inspector will insist that Hot is Hot and Neu is Neu and all Grounds pins make to Ground. But yes, a DP switch will insure the Hot is disconnected, just don't switch the Ground.
Old 14th October 2003, 12:51 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Sam,

Sorry for the confusion, I meant that it is not Kosher to remove ground when turning the power off like the above poster mentioned. I could have sworn I read that a few posts back. Again, sorry for the confusion. It's been a long night.
Old 14th October 2003, 03:16 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
Default Old ground sheme:

Iíve been considering this old system for my new upgraded grounding:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grounded vampire.jpg (39.9 KB, 121 views)
Old 14th October 2003, 03:38 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Rodd & Kilowatt,

It's true that inspectors will insist on hot ant neutral being correct, however, in my area (Silicon Valley) resales don't require inspection unless the lender insists. So the previous owner can do all kind of dumb things. In fact, even in new construction, especially tracts and condo developments, I think the inspectors often rely on the "profesional expertise" of the contractor and the lead electrician -- "if he's from the union it must be right". When construction is booming, there just aren't enough inspectors. And the actual construction is often done by less skilled workmen presumed to be under the supervision of someone who knows the code. A local electrician told me once that he makes a good living correcting the wiring on 2-10 year old condos!

Anyway, I continue to trust no one and check all outlets personally.

BTW, a couple of decades ago I worked for company making spectrometers -- they once (on advice from lawyers) had to recall hundreds of units that were perfectly ok per UL in order to refit them with DPDT power switches. They discovered faculty and grad students had a tendancy to do DIY lab remodeling and couldn't be relied on to do the wiring right way round.
Old 14th October 2003, 04:36 PM   #36
wrl is offline wrl  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok, this seems like an appropiate place for this question.

I recently finished building a Leach Amp and am putting it in an all aluminum enclosure. Currently, the chassis is grounded to AC earth via 3 prong plug. Unfortunatly, since I moved into the dorm at college, the room only has 2 prong outlets. (although the room next door has 3 prong, wierd) Any suggestons on what the safest way to run this would be? I currently have it connected through a power bar (with surge protection) and a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter.

I figure I should probably ask, since I don't really want to kill any of my suitemates

BTW, occasionally I get a small shock from the thing, although I think its static cause if I touch a doorknob first I don't get shocked
Old 14th October 2003, 04:39 PM   #37
wrl is offline wrl  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh, I almost forgot. The power bar I am using has a ground indicator light that comes on if I finagle the plug in the wall socket a bit. But I turns off as soon as I quit pressing.

Is this really indicating that I have a ground path. Can 2 prong plugs have a return to ground?

-Wes
Old 14th October 2003, 04:55 PM   #38
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by wrl
Ok, this seems like an appropiate place for this question.

I recently finished building a Leach Amp and am putting it in an all aluminum enclosure. Currently, the chassis is grounded to AC earth via 3 prong plug. Unfortunatly, since I moved into the dorm at college, the room only has 2 prong outlets. (although the room next door has 3 prong, wierd) Any suggestons on what the safest way to run this would be? I currently have it connected through a power bar (with surge protection) and a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter.

I figure I should probably ask, since I don't really want to kill any of my suitemates

BTW, occasionally I get a small shock from the thing, although I think its static cause if I touch a doorknob first I don't get shocked

Quote:
Originally posted by wrl
Oh, I almost forgot. The power bar I am using has a ground indicator light that comes on if I finagle the plug in the wall socket a bit. But I turns off as soon as I quit pressing.

Is this really indicating that I have a ground path. Can 2 prong plugs have a return to ground?

-Wes
Wes,

Even the two prong adaptors have a grounding tab that can be screwed to the cover plate screw. I cannot tell you to just use the two prong adaptor as this is unsafe even though many people use them.
Old 14th October 2003, 05:00 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Most collegae have a maintenance and/or facilities admin/dept that should be able to tell you exactly how your room is wired. They may possiblt be willing to provide the right kind of adapdtor or to modify the wall plug. You will probably have to nag them mercilessly, however.

Hide this!Advertise here!