Please help! I've fried my amplifier. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2003, 04:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Please help! I've fried my amplifier.

I recently had to give my wife's car a jump and had her hook up the battery cables (problem) she reversed the polarity and blew my Rockford Fosgate car amplifier in an instant ( my fault for not having and inline fuse for protection ). I'm wondering if any of you out there would be able to point me in the right direction as far as testing the amp component by component and where to start...so on and so forth. I know there is a good chance that something in the power supply section went first and maybe that's all --I also recognize the damage might be extensive. What do I want to test with my multimeter. I would be willing to take a high quality digital picture to send it to anyone who would need to see the basic layout of the board to give me instruction as to where to start testing and for what. Any responses would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 25th September 2003, 05:14 PM   #2
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
When a rocford amp blows you either COUGH up the money to send it back or buy a new one.

there amplifiers have degraded in quality now. and well they suck now. all crapy parts in them now and not well designed any more..

THEY were nice ams but not no more.
Old 25th September 2003, 06:35 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonL
[snip]THEY were nice ams but not no more.
Interesting. If we disregard the obvious typo ams (amps?) does this mean they are still nice?

Jan Didden
Old 25th September 2003, 06:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It may be worthwhile to see if there is a fuse in the supply area. Also, often there is a diode across the supply input, normally blocking. If the supply is connected in reverse, the diode conducts, and generally blows. It would blow in "shorting" mode, the amp will no longer work, (looks like a short), but removing the diode restore full functionality.

People at Rockford are not stupid. They realise that there are lots of possibilities that DIY (and official installation outfits) connect the supplies in reverse. It is cheaper for them to install SOME protection (a diode comes to 3 cts or so) rather than be faced with a host of returns they have to fix under guarantee or face a fight with a disgrunteld customer.

So, if you can't find it, take it to a car audio outfit and ask them to take a look at it. (Then again, they may just try to sell you a new one. I know, frustrating).

Jan Didden
Old 25th September 2003, 06:50 PM   #5
Apogee is offline Apogee  United States
diyAudio Member

I would second the diode...

I would replace it rather than remove it just in case it happens again...

I've seen this sort of problem many times...

Usually an easy and cheap fix...

Just look where the B+ enters the main board. It's usually a pretty big diode... Often there will be no signs or burning but when you check it, it will be shorted.

Good luck,
Old 25th September 2003, 06:55 PM   #6
Banned

What i mean was when a amp from rockford blows FRom stress or over power or a dead short or any other way.. they are not worth repairing. they never work the same when returned fro rockford.

i've had lots of friends send them back to rockford to get fixed and they just don't run or work properly when returned.

there value of the amp is junk. ill never buy a rockford amp again.

ALPINE ALL THE WAY.
Old 25th September 2003, 06:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Apogee
[snip]I would replace it rather than remove it just in case it happens again...
[snip]
Yes indeed. Thanks for the reminder.

Jan Didden
Old 25th September 2003, 10:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks for all the help so far

Here is a picture of the actual board itself. I was not able to identify any diodes immediately off of the B+ lead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp picture.jpg (81.1 KB, 249 views)
Old 25th September 2003, 10:46 PM   #9
Banned

HEh told you so.

Any ways i cant see it either.

Wonder why the fet's are not Bolted to the heat-sink.

Weird..
Old 26th September 2003, 11:00 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonL
What i mean was when a amp from rockford blows FRom stress or over power or a dead short or any other way.. they are not worth repairing. they never work the same when returned fro rockford.

i've had lots of friends send them back to rockford to get fixed and they just don't run or work properly when returned.

there value of the amp is junk. ill never buy a rockford amp again.

ALPINE ALL THE WAY.
All this tells me is that you have lots of not-so-smart friends. Maybe you hang out with the wrong crowd?

Jan Didden

Hide this!Advertise here!