Best (cheapest) place for wood in bristol.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know about if it is the cheapest but I buy mdf from Avon Plywood in Keynsham, they stock mdf up to 50mm thick and in sheets up to 10' by 5'. You would probably have to buy a sheet so get them to cut it, 30mm mdf is very heavy! Their cutting is accurate to the mm.
If you are making speaker cabs consider making them out of two layers of 12mm mdf. its an easy way to make rebated joints ( just cut the inner layer smaller) and you can use a rubber based contact glue to get some extra damping.
hope this helps
khush
www.avonplywood.co.uk

khush said:
I don't know about if it is the cheapest but I buy mdf from Avon Plywood in Keynsham, they stock mdf up to 50mm thick and in sheets up to 10' by 5'. You would probably have to buy a sheet so get them to cut it, 30mm mdf is very heavy! Their cutting is accurate to the mm.
If you are making speaker cabs consider making them out of two layers of 12mm mdf. its an easy way to make rebated joints ( just cut the inner layer smaller) and you can use a rubber based contact glue to get some extra damping.
hope this helps
khush
www.avonplywood.co.uk

Yes, i am making a subwoofer. i have access to a workshop, so i can cut it myself.

Solid wood, Clarks on the feeder rd is consistently cheaper.

B&Q and Selco can be pretty cheap for sheet goods. 18mm maximum though.

Avon Plywood are simply amazing, and although a few quid more, there cutting service is so incredibly accurate (I think there Holza beam saw is about £120,000). Usually £10-£15 to have every piece cut exactly right is well worth it. I recently had some Walnut veneered panels cut and lipped, from arriving at the workshop, had a walnut clad box together within an hour.

Their Birch Ply is so beautiful, im working on building a chest of draws as a high end piece of furniture. If I was to build a sub, 18mm Birch ply would be my choice, either left natural or stained.

Louis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.