Best (cheapest) place for wood in bristol. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2003, 08:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Best (cheapest) place for wood in bristol.

i know there are a few other people on this forum from bristol, and i wondered if anyone knew that cheapest place to buy 20-25mm thick MDF sheet. larger than 800x800mm.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Matthew
Old 25th September 2003, 12:17 PM   #2
khush is offline khush  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I don't know about if it is the cheapest but I buy mdf from Avon Plywood in Keynsham, they stock mdf up to 50mm thick and in sheets up to 10' by 5'. You would probably have to buy a sheet so get them to cut it, 30mm mdf is very heavy! Their cutting is accurate to the mm.
If you are making speaker cabs consider making them out of two layers of 12mm mdf. its an easy way to make rebated joints ( just cut the inner layer smaller) and you can use a rubber based contact glue to get some extra damping.
hope this helps
khush
www.avonplywood.co.uk
Old 25th September 2003, 02:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by khush
I don't know about if it is the cheapest but I buy mdf from Avon Plywood in Keynsham, they stock mdf up to 50mm thick and in sheets up to 10' by 5'. You would probably have to buy a sheet so get them to cut it, 30mm mdf is very heavy! Their cutting is accurate to the mm.
If you are making speaker cabs consider making them out of two layers of 12mm mdf. its an easy way to make rebated joints ( just cut the inner layer smaller) and you can use a rubber based contact glue to get some extra damping.
hope this helps
khush
www.avonplywood.co.uk

Yes, i am making a subwoofer. i have access to a workshop, so i can cut it myself.
Old 2nd October 2003, 12:24 PM   #4
penance is offline penance  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi

B&Q believe it or not were the cheapest i could find.
18mm thick 8foot x 4foot sheet for 9.98
and they have a free cutting service if you go to the big one in Filton

HTH
Old 6th November 2013, 10:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Solid wood, Clarks on the feeder rd is consistently cheaper.

B&Q and Selco can be pretty cheap for sheet goods. 18mm maximum though.

Avon Plywood are simply amazing, and although a few quid more, there cutting service is so incredibly accurate (I think there Holza beam saw is about 120,000). Usually 10-15 to have every piece cut exactly right is well worth it. I recently had some Walnut veneered panels cut and lipped, from arriving at the workshop, had a walnut clad box together within an hour.

Their Birch Ply is so beautiful, im working on building a chest of draws as a high end piece of furniture. If I was to build a sub, 18mm Birch ply would be my choice, either left natural or stained.

Louis

Hide this!Advertise here!