Can Metal Film Resistors Be Tan/Lt. Brown?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to identify whether resistors on a board I'm trying to recreate from a photo are either metal or carbon film. They are light brown, like most carbon films I have and have the same shape as a metal film. For example, in the attached photo. Could the bottom resistor be a metal film, or is it carbon? The photo I'm working off of is not clear enough to tell what the tolerance band might be. I am assuming that since they are 1/4w at most, the tolerance band would be 1% if metal and 5% if carbon. Would that assumption be correct?

Attachments

• resistors.jpg
    resistors.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I have found that answer to be yes, by some manufacturers but count the color bands, the number of which provides a good hint toward which type of resistor you have. A carbon film resistor normally sports four color bands. Five and six color bands almost exclusively indicate a metal film resistor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.