Can Metal Film Resistors Be Tan/Lt. Brown? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Plundering the Planet From the Comfort of Home
diyAudio Member

Default Can Metal Film Resistors Be Tan/Lt. Brown?

I'm trying to identify whether resistors on a board I'm trying to recreate from a photo are either metal or carbon film. They are light brown, like most carbon films I have and have the same shape as a metal film. For example, in the attached photo. Could the bottom resistor be a metal film, or is it carbon? The photo I'm working off of is not clear enough to tell what the tolerance band might be. I am assuming that since they are 1/4w at most, the tolerance band would be 1% if metal and 5% if carbon. Would that assumption be correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resistors.jpg (19.8 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by DreadPirate; 14th February 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 14th February 2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Account disabled at member's request

I have found that answer to be yes, by some manufacturers but count the color bands, the number of which provides a good hint toward which type of resistor you have. A carbon film resistor normally sports four color bands. Five and six color bands almost exclusively indicate a metal film resistor.

Hide this!Advertise here!