Why Is Silver/Teflon Wire So Difficult To Buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Why Is Silver/Teflon Wire So Difficult To Buy? "

Perhaps there just isn't the demand for it these days ?
Years ago, L.M.E Crossbar Telephone Exchanges worldwide, used rolls and rolls of the stuff in various colours, for strapping their Category Analyser (Customer) and Route determining blocks. I wish that I had grabbed a few redundant rolls from some of the Exchanges when they were converted to Processor control ! :)

SandyK

Not the copper is a better conductor than silver argument again!

Conductor resistance = resistivity (rho) * length /area.

rho for Silver is about 94% that of Copper
rho for Gold is about 132% that of Copper

Silver is a slightly better conductor than Copper and Gold is a significantly worse conductor than Copper.

Gold is used for low-current interconnects because it is inert and doesn't oxidize/tarnish

Silver, as you know, tarnishes quickly, but the compounds formed as silver tarnishes are still conductive at microwave frequencies, so it was not uncommon (I assume still true...) to find transmission line waveguides silver plated, even where skin effect plays a significant role.

Silver, although typically a harder and less conductive alloy like German or 'coin' Silver is still common in (lower frequency) higher power switch and relay contacts. The opening of the circuit arcs through any tarnish that forms in the case of high current or high voltage.

For lower voltage, wiping contacts achieve the restoration of good conductivity where the bare surfaces have formed a film. You will find various design limitations by intended application regarding switch and relay contacts based on this. For this reason I try not to use non-wiping switches for small signals, if switching them is unavoidable.

Last edited:
Silver, as you know, tarnishes quickly, but the compounds formed as silver tarnishes are still conductive at microwave frequencies, so it was not uncommon (I assume still true...) to find transmission line waveguides silver plated, even where skin effect plays a significant role.
thats a common misunderstanding, while silver oxide is conductive and the process that darkens your moms silver spoons and your wire under home conditions is called oxidation too, the layer is formed by sulfide. Thats difficult to solder and barely conductive.
Given this and the microphonic nature of teflon wires, those shouldn't be first choice on interconnects.

I just read somewhere about 'treated' cables for piezo accelerometers, but didn't look very hard to find such cable...saw some companies selling it as accessory for their vibration analysis lab equipment, but didn't find a simple listing in a cable manufacturer's catalog online to compare pricing...

This made me wonder if the 'treatment' reduces triboelectric noise or microphony...

Wow, I get my wire out of old washing machines & use toxic lead solder. But I won't drink Bourbon sold in plastic bottles.

Cheers
beja3ade.jpg

Someone commented earlier about silver and vampires...

That's garlic for vampires and silver bullets for werewolves. If you were experiencing poor results with these deterrents, that may be why.

With the price of silver these days, I had been contemplating the use of strategically placed bowls of automotive anti-freeze instead of silver bullets...but the risk to domestic dogs concerns me. Luckily I have not been having a problem with werewolves recently.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.