LCR capacitor instead of AMPOHM FP-CA-AU supplied

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ordered AMPOHM FP-CA-AU 4.7µF/630V capacitors (2 Nos) from Element14 India but they sent me LCR FP-CA-AU 4.7µF/630V capacitors. These capacitors r not made by AMPOHM but r made by LCR.

Does anybody know whether these LCR made caps r as good as AMPOHM make.

Quick reply will be appreciated, as I have to raise discrepancy within 3 days.

Thanks in advance

Gajanan Phadte

Last edited:
No first hand experience with those particular LCRs but i find it strange those would sell at the same price. LCR is an established supplier for industrial caps and some are not bad for audio. Ampohm, otoh, have produced some really great caps for audio and as such command a price premium. Not sure if this helps at all.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Or maybe the Ampohm's didn't work well in your system/application.

Ampohm have proved themselves in many systems as being very good, so I would be inclined to look for the problem elsewhere in you system.

As to why they went out of business, I don't know why, and neither do you, could have been one of many reasons that have nothing to do with the products.

Last edited:
This is my first purchase of a Polypropylene capacitor. I have no idea how they sound as they CANNOT be purchased locally. If there is no Ampohm cap available, I will have to go with this LCR one, which looks pretty cheap.

I have called the supplier and sent the photo of the cap as requested. Will have to wait for the development.

Gajanan Phadte

Ampohm went out of business probably as a result of the recession. I believe that all their equipment and processes were bought up by LCR. So far it seems that they are not producing PIO's for the Audio market. A couple of years ago I picked up 2 pieces of Polyester in Oil 3.9uf, installed them in my speaker crossovers. It took a couple of hundred hours for them to open up but they are hard to beat as I have compared to Mundorf Silver Oils and Jantzen. They will remain in my speakers!
6 months ago I picked up from the Tubestore in Canada 2 pieces of Ampohm PIO aluminum Foil 4.7uf and after quite a lengthy run in the outputs of my DAC they to my mind beat the Mundorfs SIO in musicality. The Mundorfs can be a little too bright in my system, with metal dome tweeters and all.. The Tubestore still has a small stock of Larger value Ampohm PIO's but they seem to be disappearing quickly. Hifi CollectiveUK has some too. The wonderful Polyester in Oil are very difficult now. The last I was able to find was a couple of at 1.5uf at Definitive Audio UK 3 months ago. The Tubestore also seems to have a pretty good stock of Ampohm Copper PIOs in smaller values. Some people I've talked to have said they like them very much. I hope that someday LCR will produce some PIO's, however its likely too small a market to interest them.

I have never heard any other audio capacitor, but I am happy I bought the LCR.

Gajanan Phadte
Gajanan,
I have a pair of Russian K75-10 4.7uf that you may have free for comparison. They are physically very large. The sound is much different than Polypropylene. Certainly not as precise, but very, very pretty in the midrange reminiscent of PIO's.In what equipment are you using the LCR 4.7uf?
Send me your address and I shall mail the K75-10's off to you.
llauriesteve@shaw.ca

I am using the LCR at the output of Pedja Rogic buffer which feeds Leach low TIM amp.
The LCRs are also very large. (30mm dia x50mm)

Gajanan Phadte
These K75-10 are (33mm x 95mm) and quite heavy as they are encased in steel and are military surplus. It is essentially Polyester in Oil. The sound is similiar, but not quite as natural as the Ampohm Polyester in Oil and as JonL notes in his Capacitor reviews, very colourful in the midrange. It is however not quite neutral enough for my tastes. With a high quality and fast bypass it seemed to become a little more balanced. Good Luck.
Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.