Help me stock up on general parts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey folks,

I've played with the DIY audio/recording/equipment side on and off for a while now. I'm not great at designing novel ideas but I do fine following other's plans and combining ideas to implement my own. Lately I am finding I want to try an idea but am severely lacking on critical components, regardless of creativity;) I'd like to have a modest stock of basic components/values and I'd like your help with a general list of things you've found helpful to always have on hand. I am talking about resistors, caps, transistors, mosfets, chips, opamps, etc. I would be applying these to a couple chipamps, maybe a decent headphone amp, few channel mic preamp, and PSU's to go with them.

I'm all set on tools, enclosures, transformers, etc. Single source, like mouser, would be great.

I'd love to see the list of general components values you keep on hand:)

Thanks!!!

Basic stock may not be the same as a desired or required BOM for a design. But having said that, I can at least (most?) help begin a list:
1, 10, 100, 1k, 10k, 100k resistors - it's hard to have too many of these values
more resistors - fill in as many values to the above as possible/reasonable
bypass caps - I find the 0.1uF monolithic ceramic "beads" usually adequate. Get plenty.
LM78xx & 79xx, LM317 & LM337 regulators - add diode bridges and discrete rectifiers too
electrolytics - assorted 25V and 50V values, say 4.7uF to 6800uF
op amps and their brethren - uA741, LM1458, TL071, NE5532, LM393... find ones you like to use on the bench and stock up. Then buy specific for a specific circuit.
NE555 and or TLC555 (CMOS) timers - 1001 uses so a few are good to have around

Thanks!!!

I realize that basic stock and BOM differ, but for general protptyping, small and simple project, etc some things are much more common than others. I did plan to go through and order a few sets of LM3886 and LM1875 resistor/cap components and do similar for some other smaller projects, but I'd still ike to have a good collection of basic stuff lying around.

I find I use a lot of 1/4 watt metal film resistors in the 100-100K range, especially in the 1k to 22k range, as well as a lot of .1uF and 1uF Wima caps (MKII-- can't remember that designation ever).

What about good type and value resistors in higher wattages?
Any recommendation for the cheapest but decent resistors and electrolytic caps (brands, model, etc)?
Transistors?

Thanks and keep it coming please. This may seem simple and silly to some, but I have no reasonable local sources and ordering little bits all the time is annoying and expensive.

Some 10-turn trimpots could be handy if you need to tune in a resistor value (or have an adjustment in a final circuit). Just don't exceed their power rating. 10, 100, 1k, 10k, 100k. A trimcap or two could also be handy.
The little 5mm-LS box capacitors are nice to have a full set of. The polyester are cheap and you can replace them with polypropylene in a final build.
If you get a few common resistor values, I'd buy them by the hundred or the thousand (1k, 10k).
Small electrolytics are cheap. You'll need lots of 10 uF for decoupling power pins, along with 0.1 uF X7R ceramics. Get at least a hundred of each of those, probably 50V. Also get a smattering of pF-size ceramics. And get an assortment of pairs of larger electrolytics.
Diodes. Transistors. Opamps. Too many to list.
Protoboards. At least two or three extremely-cheap multimeters. A few pieces of blank PCB (great for protos done "dead bug" style). Maybe some bulkhead connectors and some PCB-mount connectors. A set or two of aligator-clip leads. Fuse holders. Fuses. LEDs. Nuts, bolts, washers. Heat sink compound. Solid hookup wire. Solder.
If you don't have an oscilloscope, get one. An extra variable DC power supply or two is always nice. And a variac.

On second thought, you might be better off saving most of that money and just ordering most of what you need only when you need it.

Mouser.com is great. Digikey.com is good. Allied is good. Get their paper catalogs, too. You will be glad you did.

You should probably check ebay.com for some large assortments of parts, if they're just for prototyping.

Last edited:
Thanks Gootee,

As far as tools and hardware go, I have everything except a oscilloscope, and that is out of my range unless I found one cheap on craigslist or similar.

Any one know a reliable source for cheaper 1% metal film resistor kits. Samllbear has them but in quantities much larger than I need and requiring purchase of 3 or 4 kits to cover a good range. I've seen some ebay kits but I'm hesitant to buy based on many forum comments of fakes and poor quality. I have searched some but not extensively, so I figured I would also ask here.

Thanks!

I could put together a kit for you. I have a huge assortment of 1/4W, 1% metal film resistors in nearly every standard value. How many of each do you need? Would 20 of each be okay? I also have various high end diodes, trim pots and misc. I don't have a pressing need for.

Last edited:
I have a 400 square foot workshop full of parts and I still find I don"t have the right parts for a lot of things ......

I have all possible values of ceramic caps from 1pf to 1uF , Most Film box caps in values from 1nf to 1uF , Most electrolytics from 1uF to 10,000uF , all resistors from 1 ohm to 10 M , most values of pots and trim pots from 1k to 1m , Lots of FR4 PCB material and lots of assorted sized AC Power transformers , mostly slavaged or from walmarts , and lots of assorted Diodes , bridges , Transistors , fets , opamps , timers , terminal blocks , sockets , tube sockets , regulators , Power amp IC"s ......

Here is a good place for getting cheap components and the shipping is quick and cheap though their selection isn"t the best but it"s slowly getting better ......

Tayda Electronics

Cheers

Illusus, you have PM.

Minion,

Thanks for stopping buy. That place place is pretty cheap. How do you find the quality of their parts? Prototype quality only or generally suitable for final builds also?

Your shop sounds envious:)

Their parts are the quality of most components you would find in most consumer gear out there , not high end just general purpose parts ......

I'm buying metal film resistors from multicomp & vishay @ newark.com
2 -3 watt range fits either tube or transistor. Typically $.02 to $.06. I buy 5% tolerance, but they usually come in all the same value, not random. This fills in the bags sorted by decades I have of RS grab bags and removed from equipment,
I keep .47, 1 & 2 ohm 5W wirewound, and 1,2 ohm 25 watt resistors.
I keep a set of 1 W zener diodes, 3.3v, 5.1v, 8v, 12v, 15v, 30v. Have used many in repairs.
The base of my capacitor stock were RS grab bags or parts I pulled out of dead PCAT power supplies or dead terminals, but I fill in. Typically 50V X7R ceramic caps or occasionally surplus price film dielectric, up to 400 VDC. I'll go as high as $.45 if it is something I need, but I buy dozens, not one of anything. If I find something film > 50v <$.20 values I don't have at newark or mouser, I buy a dozen.
I keep MPS8099 transistors $.08, MPSA56 transistors $.03, TIP41C and TIP42C transistors $.35, MJ21193 and MJ21194 transistors, $4.
I keep a few 400 vAC 16 a triacs.
All ON semi from newark.com so I know they are genuine.
I keep AG3 fuses in .5, 1, 2,3,4,6,8, 15, 20 amps. I keep MDL fuses in 3 6, & 10 amps. I keep surplus fuseholders. I keep 3 and 5 amp aC breakers.
I keep 8 pin phosphor bronze dip sockets, $.35, which can be double stacked to make 14 or 16 pin.
I keep 4558, TIP82, ST33078, RC4560 op amps. Had to recently add 4558 because everything else was too fast.
I keep MR856 fast recovery rectifiers $.62, and because they won't fit in the hole sometimes, 1n4148. I keep 25 amp 400 v bridge rectifiers, $2.40.
I keep teflon insulated wire in 28, 24, and 18 gauge from surplus houses. I have PVC insulated 20, 14, and 10 gauge.
I have the odd MOS surge supressors and NTC resistors removed from PCAT power supplies and dead variable frequency motor drives. These are also useful for relays, fans, heatsinks.
I keep 10k, 25k, 100k rotary trimpots. I find 1 M and 100,1000 salvage in terminals etc.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.