wima polyester or polypropylene cap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I would like to use a 4.7uf 50v wima cap in the input circuit of an amp. but My question is if there is a difference in quality or sound of these two kind of polyester/polypropylene caps. I only have 5mm approximate for the connections of terminals. or should I just get bigger/better caps and use wires to connect them on boards? I have never use them,How are these Wima caps?

Thanks SY, now the problem is if I get the polypropylene they are bigger than 5mm. Mouser does not have in the 5mm, they only have the polyester in 5mm. I found some Wima 5mm polypropylene in ebay but I am not so sure if they sell original ones. I have to keep searching for a store that sell original Wima.:confused:

I found some Wima 5mm polypropylene in ebay but I am not so sure if they sell original ones. I have to keep searching for a store that sell original Wima.:confused:

MKP2s only go up to 0.33 uF:

WIMA

I use MKS2 (polyester) capacitors for the input high pass in power amps.
MKPs tend to get bulky and makes it difficult to keep the input network compact (which IMHO is important to minimize noise pickup in a power amp).

Last edited:
MKP2s only go up to 0.33 uF:

WIMA

I use MKS2 (polyester) capacitors for the input high pass in power amps.
MKPs tend to get bulky and makes it difficult to keep the input network compact (which IMHO is important to minimize noise pickup in a power amp).

That MKS2 is the one I wanted to use from Mouser. But I am not sure if I should get a better one like Kimber,Auricap,Sonic cap etc and just solder the wires to the 5mm space terminal in the amp board.:confused:

In what way are those caps "better"? Other than profit margin?

Good point! I just assumed that the other costs more money because of the material,winding methods,tolerance etc that make them be "better". I think there must be a bad,good and better caps right? like in everething else in this world.

PS: I just need some "good" and "reliable" 4.7uf NP 50v caps. to replace some Panasonic Fc in the input signal that are installed right now.

Last edited:
I just assumed that the other costs more money because of the material,winding methods,tolerance etc that make them be "better". I think there must be a bad,good and better caps right?

Mostly, it's a matter of market segment. The best caps are those made with very tight winding, solid potting, and reliable leadouts. That means "major manufacturer."

As you can see in pictures ,I do not have to much space on board to use big caps. Cap #1 is the one I have to use the 4.7uf at least 50v. the Wima polypropylene are wider than 5mm from terminal wires. that is why I was thinking of using the others caps put it as close as I can and just solder terminals.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 1,060
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 1,070
I would just go with the MKS2.

At 7.2mm square even they might be a tight fit.

You will not find a polyprop in that size.

One day, if you really want to try an 'audiophile' capacitor to see what you are missing (or not!), you can just solder one directly to the RCA post and jumper the C1 position.

I would just go with the MKS2.

At 7.2mm square even they might be a tight fit.

You will not find a polyprop in that size.

One day, if you really want to try an 'audiophile' capacitor to see what you are missing (or not!), you can just solder one directly to the RCA post and jumper the C1 position.

Bravo!!! How did I forget that!!!! I am going to do it to the RCA post...I did this before in another amp lol!!! Now I can get a good input cap. Thanks a lot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.