Looking for unbalanced to balanced transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Merlin,

I use the Tascam LA-40 MkIII for my Revox PR99 and my Fostex E-2, I basically just use it to connect those open reels to my pre-amp.

There are other options on the tascam website, here´s the link:

Product: LA-40mkIII | TASCAM

The sound and the ability to trim the levels, make it a really good option, I LOVE it.

Specs:

Unbalanced connectors: RCA
Balanced connectors: XLR
Trim control for fine level adjustment of +/- 12dB
Signal Present LED per channel
Input level: +4dBu/-20dBu, Output level: -10dBV, selectable per channel
Ground Lift switch per channel
All Lift Switch disables ground connections for entire unit
Earth terminal
Dimensions: 19" W x 1.74" H x 11" D (482 x 44 x 280 mm)
Weight : 6.6lbs (3 kg)

CineMag CMLI-15/15B, connected like the schematic on the right side of the page in this Jensen app note. Note that the windings are flipped around. The secondary is the input and the primary is the output.

se

Another Jensen app note of interest is:
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as003.pdf

Some while ago I converted to the transformer party after trying a couple of Jensen JT-11P-1. Now I am planning to use a couple more JT-11P-1's at the input of my Crown D-75A balanced input amp being driven from an unbalanced source.

One way to do it is use a voltage divider to ground, as shown in app note AS060 that you posted. Another way is to ground the output to make it single ended, as shown in app note AS003.

Which would be a better way to go?

Can't say I see any particular advantage of one over the other, other than the AS060, depending on how you're actually wiring in the transformers, could be a bit easier.

By the way, if you haven't already purchased the 11P-1's, I'd recommend trying the CineMag CMLI-15/15B's. I think they're every bit as good as the 11P-1's but don't cost quite so much.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.