Opamp soldering temperature?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I get around this by using sockets if possible. Some have reported that the extra signal length from using sockets can cause problems such as oscillation. I won't argue the likelthood of that, but must note that I have not experienced that. The experience includes OPA2134s. Maybe I've been lucky, but so far the advantages of sockets have out weighed any disadvantages.

I use sockets only for the first prototype. At work I never use sockets, only costs money.

You have to look out for high speed devices and sockets. This extra lenth may create unwanted inductances and/or antennas (=problems)

If you do want to use sockets use only those with round holes and good contacts. The cheap ones with flat springs are useless in the long run. Low contact pressure and bad contact with time.

OPA2134 is a "low speed" device. If you use a > 0.5kVus you must watch out.

OK, let me point out that sockets with "tulip" contacts, easy to push in, hard (or very hard) to pull out is the type you should go for. AVOID low price sockets. = bad contact = noise and other troubles. These cheap sockets have also amazing property: The IC can pop out with time, unbelievable. I have an preamp which is on my desk (small or none vibrations) and a few opamps were totally loose. The sockets were Texas Instruments and cheap a model.

peranders said:
Don't use to high temperature if you can choose. 270(518F)-370(698)F deg C give good results. Lower is better better because the flux have time to do some good. 450 (848F) deg (which my iron has) is only needed when you have much metal to heat up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Agree, 300 C is plenty enough for a low melting point silver bearing solder with a decent iron. Some solders wet better than others.

Peter Daniel said:
That is true. If the device is to be mounted permanently, the sockets are useless.
sockets are a holdover from the tube area; chips are now reliable enough and "solderable" enough that they shouldn't be used, even those expensive AD797AN's

but you haven't earned your eagle scout badge until you start using the ball-grid array and tiny outline devices !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.