Op-Amps from China? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2011, 01:05 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Op-Amps from China?

Has there been much feedback lately on op-amps bought from China?
Such as genuine and fake op-amps?
My looking for a pair of AD797s for my Essence STX card.
Old 22nd December 2011, 01:27 AM   #2
GopherT is offline GopherT  United States
diyAudio Member

Almost all low-value integrated circuits are made in China, no matter which brand you are looking for. The producers of Fake ICs usually try to balance value and volume. The AD797 is a likely candidate.
In the end, you will save only about $12 by ordering a pair from China instead of a local authorized distributor (e.g. Digikey.com) including shipping. It is not worth the effort of replacing the ones you have and finding out you have fakes that sound terrible. Besides, you want to fix it now, not 6 - 8 weeks from now because shipping takes for ever.
Old 19th January 2012, 07:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ended up buying 3 LME49990NA SOIC.
Old 12th March 2012, 07:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Found out the AD797 is only single channel, so ordered 7 more LME49990 op-amps.
I'll build 5 adapters (10 LME49990), as long as 3 adapters work, I'm ok.

Just also ordered presoldered AD797BR's from China, fingers crossed.
Old 15th March 2012, 02:47 PM   #5
kees52 is offline kees52  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Do someone know a trustable chinese supplier? shipping costs from mouser and more are terrible, 20 euro shipping costs from mouser for 27 euro of parts, now I now why we have a economic crisis.
Old 15th March 2012, 03:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Jameco lately added USPS International to their shipping methods, greatly reducing additional costs. They don't have a lot of parts, but they have some. Worth a look.

OpAmps from china... Grain of salt. Buy one (shipping rates are pretty fine), check it, and if you like it - order no more than 10/batch.

If you get component "A" from some seller, and it is genuine - it doesn't automatically make the whole seller's stock genuine too. Funny enough, there are sellers who stock 100% fakes along with genuine components on different listings...
Troublesome...
Old 15th March 2012, 05:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

what a world, oke, I had order ones a lateral mosfet 2sj162 2sk1058

she do play in amp, but if I bent the pins just one time it do break, make one pair
cripple. this is or it are used ones or fakes, but why she play in the amp, and I have already torture them, even a full oscillation on 1.6 Mhz what did burn out the output resistor, the mosfet? well, it did laugh about it, and I happy with my very accurate speaker protection.
Old 15th March 2012, 05:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kees52 View Post
Do someone know a trustable chinese supplier? shipping costs from mouser and more are terrible, 20 euro shipping costs from mouser for 27 euro of parts, now I now why we have a economic crisis.
I did try two of them and ended up with fake parts. Laser etched the "new" part label on existing part.
For OpAmps I can see the possibility an 741, 301 to be re-labeled as whatever AD OpAmp you "order". It will "work" in the circuit. And probably after that you will say here "AD797 suck!" or "if AD797 sucked, there is no OpAmp that can do properly the job"...
Old 15th March 2012, 06:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I think with opamps you can get your nose deep in the butter, if you want a AD fast opamp and end with a old 741.

In holland we call it "marktwerking" the idea behind is that the economic market with help and protect us, well, now I laugh, because
we are now on the pad of destruction of our economics, we all here on diy are busy with high quality amps, last for live is desired.

Sinds the free market get parts is much more difficult because of protection of companys, with music on youtube the same, it is
a witchhunt these days.

China however make things who last a day, that why it is so cheap, but it is a also a way to destruction.

I am happy with my classic old car, a trebute to a sustainable world.

oeiiii now I get to emotional to much spiritual, but is our goal not also this way, to make amps
who give the music a spiritual dimension?

Yes I now what you think now.

Last edited by kees52; 15th March 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:10 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default AD797BR

I ordered 10 (20 chips) presoldered AB797BRs mounted op-amps from China, put three into my Essence STX, it does sound nice.

Hide this!Advertise here!