Op-Amps from China?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Almost all low-value integrated circuits are made in China, no matter which brand you are looking for. The producers of Fake ICs usually try to balance value and volume. The AD797 is a likely candidate.
In the end, you will save only about $12 by ordering a pair from China instead of a local authorized distributor (e.g. Digikey.com) including shipping. It is not worth the effort of replacing the ones you have and finding out you have fakes that sound terrible. Besides, you want to fix it now, not 6 - 8 weeks from now because shipping takes for ever.

Jameco lately added USPS International to their shipping methods, greatly reducing additional costs. They don't have a lot of parts, but they have some. Worth a look.

OpAmps from china... Grain of salt. Buy one (shipping rates are pretty fine), check it, and if you like it - order no more than 10/batch.

If you get component "A" from some seller, and it is genuine - it doesn't automatically make the whole seller's stock genuine too. Funny enough, there are sellers who stock 100% fakes along with genuine components on different listings...
Troublesome...

what a world, oke, I had order ones a lateral mosfet 2sj162 2sk1058

she do play in amp, but if I bent the pins just one time it do break, make one pair
cripple. this is or it are used ones or fakes, but why she play in the amp, and I have already torture them, even a full oscillation on 1.6 Mhz what did burn out the output resistor, the mosfet? well, it did laugh about it, and I happy with my very accurate speaker protection.

Do someone know a trustable chinese supplier? shipping costs from mouser and more are terrible, 20 euro shipping costs from mouser for 27 euro of parts, now I now why we have a economic crisis.

I did try two of them and ended up with fake parts. Laser etched the "new" part label on existing part.
For OpAmps I can see the possibility an 741, 301 to be re-labeled as whatever AD OpAmp you "order". It will "work" in the circuit. And probably after that you will say here "AD797 suck!" or "if AD797 sucked, there is no OpAmp that can do properly the job"...

I think with opamps you can get your nose deep in the butter, if you want a AD fast opamp and end with a old 741.

In holland we call it "marktwerking" the idea behind is that the economic market with help and protect us, well, now I laugh, because
we are now on the pad of destruction of our economics, we all here on diy are busy with high quality amps, last for live is desired.

Sinds the free market get parts is much more difficult because of protection of companys, with music on youtube the same, it is
a witchhunt these days.

China however make things who last a day, that why it is so cheap, but it is a also a way to destruction.

I am happy with my classic old car, a trebute to a sustainable world.

oeiiii now I get to emotional to much spiritual, but is our goal not also this way, to make amps
who give the music a spiritual dimension?

Yes I now what you think now.

Last edited:
Depending on the quality control of the parent organization, parts from china can be quite good. I bought some ST33078 from newark.com on sale for $.38 each. They were a huge improvement over the Nipponese 4558D's originally in the mixer. It is when you get out of the authorized distribution chain that one is at risk, or if a vendor is not watching his employees. Audits must be pulled regularly by responsible employees, and at night, and on weekends, to eliminate paperwork only quality.
The best way in the US to get parts long distances is USPS priority mail. Many vendors will allow you the option of picking that shipping method, but it is not an obvious choice, you have to look on the website for it. If your delivery address qualifies as a business, UPS is cheaper over short distances. I just bought a box from OH, 350 miles, 2 lb, $5.20 via UPS. Over 800 miles I always choose USPS. And then some vendors make their profit in the shipping category. I refused to buy a superior part to the valve I bought from a new vendor because they wanted $13 for shipping a 1 lb part.

Last edited:
It is hit and miss with any component or finished item and usually it is a miss with substandard material or something that just isn't right. It sounds critical sure, but that is China (I am Chinese, have lived and worked there, but born in Canada).

Once you find a guy or a supplier, then it is both a good thing and a long term thing. Not too many think of the long term as a sale is a sale (imagine if you had sales to just 1% of 1.4 billion people -- you'd be swamped and probabl;y wouldn't worry about future sales too much).

But that is with any country or culture, you will get people who lie, cheat, and steal. Some countries more so than others.

Real or Fake?

I wonder if these are fakes? Source: eBay project kit.

Attachments

• Real_or_Fake.jpg
    Real_or_Fake.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 198
I wonder if these are fakes? Source: eBay project kit.

The Burr Brown logo looks like nothing I've seen before - never seen just 'BB' in a non-elongated box. It could be genuine, but I have never seen that type of laser marking on a BB part either - most or all parts I've seen have been silkscreened.

An easy way to check is to test them at ±24V supplies and see if they pop. The OPA604 is one of the few (only?) DIP-8 single op amps able to use ±24V supplies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.