Replace 25 Year Old Metalized Polycarbonate Film Cap? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2011, 02:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Replace 25 Year Old Metalized Polycarbonate Film Cap?

I have a older preamp in which I replaced all the electrolytics in. I have two 4.7uf 100v MKCs that are used as bypass for my power capacitors, 6800uf 50v.

Is it necessary to replace those caps? The replacement for those are a MKP and I have been looking at those from Wima.
Old 15th December 2011, 03:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The MKC's are fine and not dried out, but the MKP's might sound a little better.
Old 16th December 2011, 09:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Polycarbonates can degrade with age - sometimes the metal film corrodes away and mains types can lose value as spikes burn holes in the film. I have seen them go leaky in high impedance circuits where moisture has got in. All of these faults can be tested with a capacitance meter and checking dc leakage
Old 18th December 2011, 06:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have decided to replace the old MKC caps in the preamp with the recommended MKP. The old MKCs are WIMA brand. WIMA recommends a MKP4 as the replacment. The problem is that they do not have the cap with 30mm lead spacing. Any suggestions for a replacement 4.7uf 100v bypass cap for preamp power supply?
Old 18th December 2011, 08:19 AM   #5
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

27.5mm is the standard these days, you can either bend the legs to fit the holes if pcb mounted or drill new holes and fold the lead over.

Regards
James
Old 18th December 2011, 11:28 AM   #6
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreCD View Post
I have decided to replace the old MKC caps in the preamp with the recommended MKP. The old MKCs are WIMA brand. WIMA recommends a MKP4 as the replacment. The problem is that they do not have the cap with 30mm lead spacing. Any suggestions for a replacement 4.7uf 100v bypass cap for preamp power supply?
That makes me think of people "restoring" ancient furniture by replacing the precious walnut veneer by formica, just in case it might be damaged but not visibly.
Old 18th December 2011, 12:10 PM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Elvee,
I love you !

Polycarbonate, when they were readily available, were (very?) good amongst their peers.

I would not change them unless I knew they were out of specification.
Old 18th December 2011, 01:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvee View Post
That makes me think of people "restoring" ancient furniture by replacing the precious walnut veneer by formica, just in case it might be damaged but not visibly.
I favor Walnut! Thanks for the input. Please give a suggestion as to what would be a good bypass capacitor in a preamp power stage. 6800uf 50v power caps currently bypassed with WIMA MKC 4.7uf 100v cap.

From yours and Andrews suggestion that the caps are timeless if proven not to be out of spec I may just leave them alone. I am trying to improve the sound quality of my system and this is one of the easier items to replace to see if it improves. I have a nice audible "hiss" when the preamp is switched on.Get a foot away and you can't hear it but I am concerned that it is a symptom that could be displaying itself at other times of the music. Could be many things but without proper test equipment replacing caps is a good option for me.

Last edited by PreCD; 18th December 2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 18th December 2011, 02:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

try ebay
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Wima-MKC-4-7u...a#ht_500wt_951

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/2x-VISHAY-ERO...#ht_1128wt_702

Last edited by QSerraTico_Tico; 18th December 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 18th December 2011, 02:26 PM   #10
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Listen to and measure the hiss when the input of the amplifier is shorted.
Now substitute a 1k0 resistor for that short and listen and measure hiss again.

Now go though your various sources connecting one at a time and one channel at a time and listen and measure the hiss.

Are any of your source/s noisier than the 1k0 resistor?
Are any as quiet as your 1k0 resistor?

Choose the quietest source and now listen and measure the hiss with both channels connected.

Any difference?

Last edited by AndrewT; 18th December 2011 at 02:30 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!