diyAudio (
-   Parts (
-   -   Russian FT-3 Caps (

drjb 14th December 2011 08:24 PM

Russian FT-3 Caps
Hi, I purchased a set of six Russian FT-3, 0.1uf, 600v caps to bypass the coupling caps in my headphone amp (Mundorf M-Tube Caps 47uf). I have two questions:

1. how do I determine the input from the output end? &

2. I read somewhere that these FT-3's are more effective if you remove the outer aluminum casing; is this true?



zigzagflux 15th December 2011 04:33 AM

Without removing the outer casing I have not been able to detect an outer foil with signal generator and scope. This method works for just about any other film cap with plastic outer casing, but not with these. As a result, I doubt there would be a performance issue regardless of which end you choose.

Johnny2Bad 15th December 2011 06:29 AM

When in complete doubt ... and it seems this is the case here ... wire them in the circuit so that the printing on the cap reads left-to-right in the same direction as the signal flows through the cap.

Having said that I believe I read somewhere ... can't remember where ... that this would be the correct way for these caps. I use this exact cap myself, and that's how they're wired, and I seem to recall digging online for the answer.

They're used in a T-amp (Helder TA 2020 Mk III) bypassing 2.2uF Mundorf M-caps (the relatively inexpensive white with red lettering ones). Go figure.

In any case, the Mundorfs were decent but proved somewhat sibilant, esp female vocals; the Russians noticeably helped out there. Your versions are better quality Mundorfs so not sure if that's useful info or not, but there you go in any case.

drjb 15th December 2011 01:42 PM

Alright, John & thanks.

The writing on these caps is not left to right, however, but starts at the top, written top down and so I assume the input, via your method, would be at the top, where the writing begins. However, one amp manufacturer uses them in exactly the opposite way, which confused me and so this is why I'm asking here.

And, Zigzag, thanks for your recommendation.

data 15th December 2011 03:36 PM

The Mundorf M-Tube Caps are a very good sounding film cap.

I assume these are in the power supply stage as intended?

I would imagine any difference with the Teflons by-passing them will be a matter of personal preference. My guess is they will sound better as they are, although I'm not a fan of the Teflon sound, but I'll be very interested in how you find them after the by-pass :)

drjb 15th December 2011 03:42 PM

Data, no, the Mundorfs are coupling caps and not in the power supply. I know this can cause an out of phase, sound condition (smearing), but for how easy the install is, I'm thinking it's worth a try (can remove them just as easily).

data 15th December 2011 03:45 PM

Well, I must admit I didn't expect them to be doing coupling duties...

I'm no different to you, in that... I would have to give it a try and see/hear for myself ;) and that is why I'm interested in how you find the resulting sound.

drjb 15th December 2011 03:50 PM

I will let you know. I'm curious, myself, obviously.

data 15th December 2011 04:40 PM

Damn it!

This got me to pull out a pair of .22uf FT3's and by-pass some Obligattos' in my phono *sigh*

We can't help ourselves, can we ?

drjb 15th December 2011 04:48 PM

Seems that way, yes, can't help ourselves. No harm trying (hopefully).

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:55 PM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 18.75%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio