diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Parts (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/)
-   -   Parts-Express --> Canada = $$$ (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/202193-parts-express-canada.html)

cogitech 9th December 2011 06:48 PM

Parts-Express --> Canada = $$$

Canucks beware!

If you order from Parts-Express and select "FedEx International Economy (Brokerage Fees Included)", you will still end up getting screwed by FedEx.

I placed an order for $24 worth of parts, paid $26 for the "no worries" shipping, and just got a bill from FedEx for $15.59.

So that's a total of over $41 to ship $24 worth of stuff.

I have e-mailed PE and asked them if they plan to pay the $15.59 FedEx charge. If they don't I will never give them my business again. Period.

DanielWilkin 9th December 2011 07:00 PM

I thought FedEx were supposed to be the good guys? I've learned the hard way to bend over when UPS shows up on the doorstep. More than once I've ended up paying more in shipping and "fees" than the items in the box are worth.

dan

tomchr 9th December 2011 07:06 PM

Yeah... Those broker's fees can be a pain. I got dinged on a package shipped UPS from Canada to the US. I think the actual customs fee was something like $3 but the broker's fee $25.

You could look into https://bongous.com/
I haven't used them and am not affiliated with them. I just noticed that some of the on-line places I shop offer shipping through them. I don't know if that gets rid of the broker's fees. I suspect so. If you ship USPS to Canada, there should be no broker's fee.

Actually, that's another way around the fees. Use USPS... Slower service, crappy tracking, but no fees. And really quite cost effective.

~Tom

a.wayne 9th December 2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cogitech (Post 2813430)
Canucks beware!

If you order from Parts-Express and select "FedEx International Economy (Brokerage Fees Included)", you will still end up getting screwed by FedEx.

I placed an order for $24 worth of parts, paid $26 for the "no worries" shipping, and just got a bill from FedEx for $15.59.

So that's a total of over $41 to ship $24 worth of stuff.

I have e-mailed PE and asked them if they plan to pay the $15.59 FedEx charge. If they don't I will never give them my business again. Period.

The brokerage fees are a must , you need to take it up with your guv, they are the reason for the fees. always best to use Post ..

sdman 9th December 2011 07:17 PM

Outrageous Rates

Fedex and UPS rates have become outrageous the last few years.

I try to use USPS when I can, it's a lot less expensive but is slower.

Maybe we need to boycot them when we have the opportunity.

Sam

cogitech 9th December 2011 07:29 PM

PE only offers FedEx shipping to Canada, so there's no other way. I have been dinged like this in the past by both FedEx and UPS and I try to use USPS whenever it is available. I mistakenly assumed that this was a safe way to use FedEx. PE is misleading on the checkout page. Perhaps they did pay the brokerage fee, but they say nothing about other FedEx charges, which includes an "advancement" fee of $10. I don't mind paying taxes, but the $10 "advancement" fee is plain robbery.

PE have responded to my question, informing me that they will not pay the bill.

So I paid $65 for $24 worth of stuff.

I will not be using PE ever again. End of story.

indianajo 9th December 2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdman (Post 2813463)
Fedex and UPS rates have become outrageous the last few years.
I try to use USPS when I can, it's a lot less expensive but is slower.
Sam

If your package is not crossing borders, and up to 800 miles, UPS can be quite cost effective. I get up to 14 lb from Cleveland,OH or Gaffnee NC for about $7 UPS. The secret is, my house is coded as a business. Fed-ex codes my house as a residence and it always costs $5 more, plus they run a special residential truck for my package in addition to all the regular trucks that go by all day without stopping.
If you have a friend in business, ship incoming UPS to their business using 9 digit zip code, it saves $5 minimum. I use USPS priority over 900 miles or over 14 lb, and they don't have a residence fee.

vinylkid58 9th December 2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielWilkin (Post 2813447)
I thought FedEx were supposed to be the good guys?

:rofl:

fandersen 9th December 2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cogitech (Post 2813476)
PE only offers FedEx shipping to Canada

Their web site does indicate they will ship USPS to Canada, but that takes at least 2 weeks.

Quote:

When I order parts from the US I tend to use DigiKey as they only charge $8 for 1 day international via FedEx, with no extra billing from FedEx.

if you're looking for speaker parts don't forget Creative Sound Solutions and of course Planet10.

Over the years I have found a couple of good sources for parts in Canada including Parts ConneXion - The authority on hi-fi DIY parts and components (watch for their 20% off sales) and A1 Electronic Parts - Serving the Toronto area for 30 years! for Hammond stuff. There are others depending what you're looking for.

I'm not affiliated with any of the above companies.

a.wayne 9th December 2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

PE only offers FedEx shipping to Canada, so there's no other way. I have been dinged like this in the past by both FedEx and UPS and I try to use USPS whenever it is available. I mistakenly assumed that this was a safe way to use FedEx. PE is misleading on the checkout page. Perhaps they did pay the brokerage fee, but they say nothing about other FedEx charges, which includes an "advancement" fee of $10. I don't mind paying taxes, but the $10 "advancement" fee is plain robbery.

PE have responded to my question, informing me that they will not pay the bill.

So I paid $65 for $24 worth of stuff.

It's not PE fault , take it up with Fed-ex. I have used PE for years , no issues..