Parts-Express --> Canada = $$$

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
USPS is the way to go for sure. i never have any issues or extra charges, other than the taxes i am required to pay. but they have an agreement with canada post so that no brokerage fees are charged.

Buying from the US is always a pain for us Canucks. As many have pointed out, the best way is USPS. Canada post will charge a nominal brokerage fee of $5 cdn. In addition, appropriate taxes and levies will be added too. However, my experinece is that if the claimed value of the item is $50 or less, no charges will be made - just pick it up from the post office!!

Over the years, I have bought a variety of items from the US with USPS shipping - it may be slower but I have never lost anything.

Regards,

The brokerage fees are a must , you need to take it up with your guv, they are the reason for the fees. always best to use Post ..

Actually no:

1 - They are not a must. They are what you call oligopolistic pricing power. I.e. little competition, so 3 suppliers can collude to control pricing.

The paperwork needs to be done (why? well, that's poor trade policy).
However, it IS being handled cost effectively by UPS etc.

I had drinks with a senior UPS rep who told be that the "Broker Service" group is one of the most profitable portions of the business.

I.e. we have your shipment, and you over a barrel, so pay up.

2 - The postal service does the same paperwork for a $5 flat fee

3 - Not all things in Canada are about taxes!!!

Most of my parts purchases are from Digikey, great service and shipping is included ($8 if purchase is under $200). Mouser is finally catching up to that
I do a fair number of cross-border transactions and, if the declared value is $20 or less, no duties, taxes or brokerage fees. E

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
FEDEX especially gouges and the other two aren't much better

I don't know about 1-offs, but all my shopments from Madisound come via their FedEx commercial account and i get charged just GST (and duty when applicable), no clearance fees at all.

For general stuff i insist on USPS, and if i need something from Parts-Express i get Bob from CSS to get it for me (shipped for free to Sumas, where he himself goes down and clears it, then Canada Post to me).

dave

I shipped something to someone in Canada. It cost $65 and UPS dinged him for another $47. What a joke. USPS from now on.

This is one reason I'm happy to live in 1/2 hr. drive from PE's little warehouse showroom.

The couriers are "sharks" when it comes to fees. I dislike UPS most - you have to pay all the charges when the goods arrived or they will not give you the parcel. With FedEx, at least they send you an invoice later.

I bought something from China 6 months ago and the goods was shipped via DHL, no fees whatsoever?!! Is this normal?

Regards,

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I won't purchase from PE because of shipping costs via UPS or FedEx. In fact, I won't order anything from the US if shipped via UPS or FedEx unless they're paying. I just received an order from Mouser, which was shipped via FedEx, but they covered all the costs. However, it was an order of over $200 so I could receive that benefit.
Another of my irritants is that I live in a rural area, close to a city, so can't receive delivery from UPS or FedEx ... which means I have to pick it up at their depots. FedEx is open business hours, but for customer pickup, UPS is only open from 4 to 6 pm, and have (I'm serious) parking for 4 vehicles.
Incidentally, I've found B&H Photo (photo, computer, pro audio) in New York to be an outstanding example of how to deal with Canadians. They ship via Purolator - a Canadian courier affiliated with Canada Post - with minimal hassle, and cost, which lets me pick up at my local post office. If PE gave a damn, they'd study how B&H works.

You can't blame Parts Express for what happens at the boarder. Shipping anything across the boarder is going to cost $20 to $30 because that's the cost of the paper work. Duty \ Tariff # have to be looked up and identify in correspondence with the country of origin.
Not anyone's fault. Yes it doesn't make sence to purchase a $25 item that cost more to ship so don't do it. Find a Canadian distributor that does this in bulk. Or you could actually do the brokerage yourself by providing customs with the duty\tariff # yourself. Remember there's also GST on product coming in as well. Not PE's fault or responsibility.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.