Parts-Express --> Canada = $$$

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Were you to broker it yourself, your cost on a $100 shipment would be $5.

The $5 will vary province to province. The $5 represents the basic 5% GST. In the Maritimes (15%), Ontario (13%), and BC (12% -- sadly going back to a punitive GST + PST) will be charged. In other provinces you are also supposed to pay PST (if applicable), but sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. Alberta is the only province with no PST so it is the only place where it will be 5% for sure.

Also note that if it comes thru Canada Post it will sometimes slip thru customs uncharged.

dave

I Will not under any circumstances use UPS or FedX as a matter of principal , They are scam artists plain and simple ......

I get some of my stuff from a parts outfit in Thailand which is rediculously cheap and the shipping is rediculously cheap and faster from thailand to canada than from canada to canada .......

Tayda Electronics Home Page

While they don"t have a huge selection their prices are unbeatable .....

Most Canadians who have imported items more than a few times will not deal with a US reseller that ships via UPS. If you are a US reseller with an online presence and your business to Canada is less than 10% of your gross, chances are your potential Canadian customers are just closing the browser window and shopping at your competitors. Generally speaking these "clued in" resellers were able to increase annual sales by 15 and sometimes 20~25% by taking steps to cater to Canadians.

I deal with the president of one prominent US electronics parts vendor who tells me sales to Canada, already at almost 10% of his volume, doubled in one year once he set up a .ca domain and began to charge GST/HST at point of sale, and said to me (I quote) "Sales were basically like finding another California".

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
A fee for brokerage;
The sales tax due (5% of invoice);
A fee for "loaning" you the 5%;
A fee for collecting the fees.

Were you to broker it yourself, your cost on a $100 shipment would be $5.

If you choose UPS, for example, the cost is:
Brokerage fee for value $100: $19.45
Sales tax "paid" on your behalf $5
Fee for "loaning" you the $5: 2.7%; minimum $10
Fee for collecting the fees: $4.25
Total $38.70

Note that the $100 value includes whatever UPS charged you for shipping, so the retail value of the goods imported will be less than $100.

Not much different than FedEx, as far as I can tell. I bought $24 dollars worth of stuff, paid $26 dollars for shipping ("brokerage fees included!" as per PE), and then I was charged the tax, the "loan fee" and the "fee for collecting the fee" based on a $50 purchase. As I said, I purchased $24 worth of stuff, then I was charged fees based on a $50 purchase, and then charged $10+ for lending me a couple bucks for tax. FedEx made far more money on the transaction than PE did!!!

As Bubbles would say, "it's just ******", IMO. They are the 1%.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I deal with the president of one prominent US electronics parts vendor who tells me sales to Canada, already at almost 10% of his volume, doubled in one year once he set up a .ca domain and began to charge GST/HST at point of sale, and said to me (I quote) "Sales were basically like finding another California".

Newegg? TigerDirect?

They figured this **** out, why can't PE?

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hi,

In general the couriers charge what they can and even if some of the charges might be technically "illegal" they count on people not taking them on.

I offer anyone in Canada the service of providing PE product, though the margins are getting thin to non existent. I get free shipping on orders of $500 or more and have a place in Sumas that receives orders for me. I do my own customs clearance and pay the duty, etc. Customers pay for the product including shipping from here. Obviously the lowest shipping is in BC and many people come and pick up in order to save shipping or plan ahead and get/collect more stuff over a period of time. I also have a fairly good shipping rate in Canada with UPS. The largest benefit comes with multiple packages as I pay by total weight not the number of packages.

There are many things about the way PE does their pricing and monthly specials which neither I nor my sales rep there understand but it is what it is.

Thanks to all who support me in this way.

Bob

Bob,

I missed this at first due to the posts coming fast and furious.

Thanks for clarifying what Dave wrote earlier. This is an awesome service (wish I had known before) and I will certainly be in touch with you in the future if there is ever anything that I simply "must have" from PE.

I have to admit, though, that this experience leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth and I will likely try to keep my business in Canada if/when I can. If this means saving up my money to buy some nicer CSS/MA drivers from you rather than jumping on $10 buyout drivers, then so be it. As discussed, Solen is always an option, too.

Have you ever considered expanding your driver line to include a bit more variety? Hi-Vi, TB, Peerless, etc.

Last edited:
The $5 will vary province to province. The $5 represents the basic 5% GST. In the Maritimes (15%), Ontario (13%), and BC (12% -- sadly going back to a punitive GST + PST) will be charged. In other provinces you are also supposed to pay PST (if applicable), but sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. Alberta is the only province with no PST so it is the only place where it will be 5% for sure.

Also note that if it comes thru Canada Post it will sometimes slip thru customs uncharged.

dave

I rarely am charged PST; almost everything for here goes through the point of entry at Emerson, MB or comes in via Ontario (GST/HST only). I'm in SK; PST if you pay it is 5%.

Last edited:
When ordering anything from the US, I do one of three things, depending on the package:

- Choose USPS for smaller packages. Generally that also means I don't have to pay tax/duties either, for some reason they often don't charge taxes for imported packages.

- Broker myself, if shipping by FedEx/UPS. Despite what Dave said, I've had no issues brokering my own packages sent by FedEx/UPS. You do however need to call as soon as you get the tracking number, or risk having it already brokered. I have heard of people successfully refusing delivery on a package and brokering it themselves afterwards, though you run a much lower chance of success.

- Ship to a nearby US town (there are at least half a dozen choices within an hour's drive of Winnipeg), drive down and pick it up yourself. Best done for larger/heavier packages. You'll have to go inside at the border and pay all applicable duties/taxes. If it is NOT a commercial package you are bringing across, its super easy as the customs agents do all the work. Its a bit more work for commercial packages, but they were nice enough to help out the first time I did it. Well worth it for $30 worth of gas, and ~3 hours of my time. Most effective when US shipping is considerably cheaper or free (as is often the case). Not the easiest option if you're on the Island though :p

I suppose there's the 4th option - get it shipped to a friend in US and have them ship it to you via USPS. Extremely effective, but takes longer to get the package of course.

A little tip about Solen... A couple times I've asked for products not listed on their site from Dayton. Like the EMM6 mic or Dayton waveguides. They've always said they can get it for me. And it always cost pretty much the same as PE. So unless you want something like and Usher product or some pro gear, I think about any diy product should be attainable through sources other than PE.

+1 on using USPS if going through PE. I'm pretty sure they offer USPS.

I got dinged by Fedex a few months ago, even though I thought I should not have had to pay anything - the shipping was international express or something, which includes brokerage fees. I ended up paying about $15 in "disbursement" and "COD" fees which basically means paying Fedex for their having paid the duty/tax in advance for me, in order to release the package to me. All $8 of it.

Apparently (according to Fedex), you can pay the duty/tax to Fedex in advance so that you do not have to pay these fees. You need to call them with your tracking number a.s.a.p. and request paying the fees in advance (maybe you need to explicity deny them the ability to pay for you? I don't know). I haven't tested this but next time I will.

You might also want to try out NuTech in Hamilton, Ontario and they have a place in St. Catherine's but I haven't been there. The website pretty much sucks, but when you go in there, you can definitely find a good array parts and components at competitive prices (no speakers parts though). The best thing is that I have never got any dodgy or questionable parts from Nutech. :) I refer to this because there is another chain components seller (begins with an S) in southern Ontario that the electrolytic capacitors I bought tested way out of spec and the a few ICs didn't work right off the bat.

Call the Nutech Hamilton location on the phone (or if you can go in) and you will get awesome service. If they don't have it, they can order it in -- don't see the output transformer? They can get it. That Nat Semi Monolithic chip you always wanted? Those too. And the prices are very competitive.

Nutech :: Home

Another place where I get some stuff is at Creatron in Toronto. The stuff here is pretty reliable and they will order something in that they don't usually carry (like opAmps and ICs). I get my Arduino boards and shields here and will pick up some capacitors and resistors depending on the projects I am working on. Probably not pro-audio grade components, but not far off. They have some tempting stuff in there in terms of bench testing equipment, oscilloscopes, and variable power sources, but it is all made in China.

Creatron Inc.

And for metalized capacitors and other pro-audio grade stuff, I go back to Hamilton to the Tube Store (they advertise here at diyAudio). You can go to their shop (it is a challenge to find the front door) and get stuff. Be prepared to be amazed though, they have tubes... which with a store name like that, is a good thing I went in there and there was a carton of vintage DHT, 813, and 845 tubes -- they let me play with one (it was a dead 813) while my order was being picked and processed. Anyway, you look from the one side of the counter and realize that this is the place where those pictures you see on the internet of boxes and boxes of unsorted vintage tubes goes to. The guys in there are nice and helpful. Again , their website is not that good and not all that up to date, so call. And one time I went in there, I swear someone was finishing playing the electric guitar inside the warehouse. :scratch:

www.thetubestore.com - Your online source for amplifier tubes!

tl;dr -- all the places I go to for electronics and components are in Southern Ontario, they all have sucky websites but really good walk-in and phone service with awesome selection and good pricing.

Yes - the old UPS or Fed Ex brokerage Fees.

Here are a few options to avoid this

1) I've found ABRA Electronics in Montreal to be able to get higher end jFET and MOSFET's.
Even though they are not listed on their website.

2) Parts Connexion has good caps and resistors.
Take Five Audio has OCC copper wire and cable.

3) Antek has good transformers and cases - have them shipped by USPS.

Or you could have large or heavy items shipped to a UPS Store - just on the US side.
Drive down - cross the boarder - and clear the items though Canada Revenue yourself.
Here in Ottawa, I have over sized or heavy items shipped to the UPS Store in Ogdensberg, N.Y.
Then drive down and pick them up myself.

Justradios.com has very reasonsble prices on caps and resistors, I get most from there, they seem to be adding more variety to their order list every year, great for working on old radios, but not so much for SS amps that I want to keep as original in values as possible, then I use Ebay.
Ebay the caps will probally be old stock by a few years, better then what I am taking out of the HK PM665 right now.

A while back I ordered a handfull of transistors, from Unfairchild direct worth 15 $.
They shipped it with FedEx and billed me more than 100$ for shipping, and it came in a box the size of a small summerhouse:eek:
A little detail they conveniently forget to mention in the midts of all the talk of avoiding fakes etc.
Ebay might be more cost efective, even if you get screwed 2 out of 3 times:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.