24v to 12v converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi
does anyone here can help me?

i'm looking for a 24v to 12 v converter for use in my fj42 hat is 2*12 v batteries
i want to use a cd player in it
so i just want to transform the 24v of the car in 12 volts for the cd player

(can't connect it on just one battery because of the alternator)

bye and thanx:)

If your power/current requirements are low (ie around 2 to 3 Amps, I guess the easiest solution would be a linear regulator with an external pass transistor (such as 7812 with a suitably rated pass transistor). Have done it for my dad's BJ60. Only problem is when you need higher current for the power amps....... You'll need a switching regulator....

The other 'partial' solution is to just tap the power from ONE battery (the battery whose negative is the vehicle ground) and swap the batteries round every couple of days to ensure even charging.

The absolute solution would be to install a third battery (with its own charging alternator) and power your system from this battery. Keep all wiring and sound system grounds (including the chassis of the CD player, amps etc) TOTALLY separated from the existing electrical system.

Hope this helps.....

Hmmm..... US$20 for a 6A, 24V DC to 12V DC converter? A bargain, if it really can deliver the full, continuous 6A!

Let's see, at 6A current and a 12V drop across the external pass transistor(s) for a linear supply, you have a theoretical dissipation of about 72W at the pass transistor, which is very significant and needs a large heatsink. Unless of course, the converter unit is a switching converter.......

Kind of reminds me of the 1,000W PMPO ghetto blasters....

Anyway, good luck and enjoy....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.