What brand of capacitors are these? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2011, 02:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What brand of capacitors are these?

I just got some brand new "free" caps, are these panasonic caps?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 019.JPG (741.0 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg 020.JPG (884.7 KB, 234 views)
Old 9th December 2011, 03:11 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes
Panasonic HA

The "M" is for Matsushita, mother company of Panasonic
Old 9th December 2011, 12:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Lazybutt!
Old 9th December 2011, 02:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Is that a 1989 date code on them? 22 years old, the seals will be going
Old 9th December 2011, 08:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsrsb View Post
Good eyes! Well I do not know about that, but as I said before, these were for free. I tested them with my hospital grade ESR meter and they look good.
Old 9th December 2011, 08:57 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Don't use them in a quality device. They are too old now. When you decide to use them please use a 10 kOhm series resistor and slowly turn the voltage up with a power supply. Start with 1 V and up the voltage with steps of 1 V per minute till full max. voltage. Let them be at 63 V for an hour and then slowly drain them by lowering the voltage of the power supply again slowly. They must be discharged so you won't get surprises when you start to solder them.

We used to call it "forming". It is to clean the cap internally of oxidation. When you don't do this and put them at full voltage at once they can blow which can be spectacular but unwanted !

The seals still look OK but I would use Dow Corning 744 kit on the "ring" to seal them on a PCB. Well, I do this with all large aluminium caps to avoid leakage and damage both ways.

Last edited by jean-paul; 9th December 2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 9th December 2011, 09:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Don't use them in a quality device. They are too old now. When you decide to use them please use a 10 kOhm series resistor and slowly turn the voltage up with a power supply. Start with 1 V and up the voltage with steps of 1 V per minute till full max. voltage. Let them be at 63 V for an hour and then slowly drain them by lowering the voltage of the power supply again slowly.

We used to call it "forming". It is to clean the cap internally of oxidation. When you don't do this and put them at full voltage at once they can blow which can be spectacular but unwanted !
Thanks jean-paul!!! I will not use them, but my friend ask me for them so I will give them to his first gainclone power supply. I am using Mundorf 125c audio grade caps from Germany for my power supply, they cost a lot but, they are excellent quality and very low esr. Thanks again for advise.
Old 11th December 2011, 03:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsrsb View Post
No, in this case they are not the manufacturer dates, but codes (batch). I just ordered and received the same caps from Digikey (yes, including yours lazybutt), and their manufatcuring coding is 1126E, hence NOT the manufacturing date. Shame that Panasonic does not label their caps with manufacturing dates like so many others do these days.

And for info: I'm preparing a large capacitor comparison test (ESR, Z, phase shift, diss. factor from 40Hz to 100kHz) for power supply cps (all at 6800uF/63V), for which reason I bought these Pana's as well.

Last edited by AmpliFire; 11th December 2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11th December 2011, 06:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpliFire View Post
No, in this case they are not the manufacturer dates, but codes (batch). I just ordered and received the same caps from Digikey (yes, including yours lazybutt), and their manufatcuring coding is 1126E, hence NOT the manufacturing date. Shame that Panasonic does not label their caps with manufacturing dates like so many others do these days.
So you don't think your new caps with code "1126E" are from the 26th week of 2011? I still need convincing....
Old 11th December 2011, 07:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersonix View Post
So you don't think your new caps with code "1126E" are from the 26th week of 2011? I still need convincing....
I might think you are right about that. However, two other 22000 uF PANA TS-HA caps that came with mentioned new caps from Digikey are labelled '01710'. What to make of that? Furthermore, lanchile's caps are exactly the same printing/label as my new '1126E', hence it seems unlikely to me that they are from 1989. Of course, it's plausible...

Hide this!Advertise here!