diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Parts (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/)
-   -   What brand of capacitors are these? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/202148-what-brand-capacitors-these.html)

lanchile 9th December 2011 02:30 AM

What brand of capacitors are these?

2 Attachment(s)
I just got some brand new "free" caps, are these panasonic caps?:confused:

Lazybutt 9th December 2011 03:11 AM

Yes
Panasonic HA

The "M" is for Matsushita, mother company of Panasonic

lanchile 9th December 2011 12:54 PM

Thanks Lazybutt!;)

davidsrsb 9th December 2011 02:26 PM

Is that a 1989 date code on them? 22 years old, the seals will be going

lanchile 9th December 2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidsrsb (Post 2813138)

Good eyes! Well I do not know about that, but as I said before, these were for free. I tested them with my hospital grade ESR meter and they look good.

jean-paul 9th December 2011 08:57 PM

Don't use them in a quality device. They are too old now. When you decide to use them please use a 10 kOhm series resistor and slowly turn the voltage up with a power supply. Start with 1 V and up the voltage with steps of 1 V per minute till full max. voltage. Let them be at 63 V for an hour and then slowly drain them by lowering the voltage of the power supply again slowly. They must be discharged so you won't get surprises when you start to solder them.

We used to call it "forming". It is to clean the cap internally of oxidation. When you don't do this and put them at full voltage at once they can blow which can be spectacular but unwanted !

The seals still look OK but I would use Dow Corning 744 kit on the "ring" to seal them on a PCB. Well, I do this with all large aluminium caps to avoid leakage and damage both ways.

lanchile 9th December 2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jean-paul (Post 2813606)
Don't use them in a quality device. They are too old now. When you decide to use them please use a 10 kOhm series resistor and slowly turn the voltage up with a power supply. Start with 1 V and up the voltage with steps of 1 V per minute till full max. voltage. Let them be at 63 V for an hour and then slowly drain them by lowering the voltage of the power supply again slowly.

We used to call it "forming". It is to clean the cap internally of oxidation. When you don't do this and put them at full voltage at once they can blow which can be spectacular but unwanted !

Thanks jean-paul!!! I will not use them, but my friend ask me for them so I will give them to his first gainclone power supply. I am using Mundorf 125c audio grade caps from Germany for my power supply, they cost a lot but, they are excellent quality and very low esr. Thanks again for advise.;)

AmpliFire 11th December 2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidsrsb (Post 2813138)

No, in this case they are not the manufacturer dates, but codes (batch). I just ordered and received the same caps from Digikey (yes, including yours lazybutt), and their manufatcuring coding is 1126E, hence NOT the manufacturing date. Shame that Panasonic does not label their caps with manufacturing dates like so many others do these days.

And for info: I'm preparing a large capacitor comparison test (ESR, Z, phase shift, diss. factor from 40Hz to 100kHz) for power supply cps (all at 6800uF/63V), for which reason I bought these Pana's as well.

Andersonix 11th December 2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmpliFire (Post 2815641)
No, in this case they are not the manufacturer dates, but codes (batch). I just ordered and received the same caps from Digikey (yes, including yours lazybutt), and their manufatcuring coding is 1126E, hence NOT the manufacturing date. Shame that Panasonic does not label their caps with manufacturing dates like so many others do these days.

So you don't think your new caps with code "1126E" are from the 26th week of 2011? I still need convincing....

AmpliFire 11th December 2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andersonix (Post 2815909)
So you don't think your new caps with code "1126E" are from the 26th week of 2011? I still need convincing....

I might think you are right about that. However, two other 22000 uF PANA TS-HA caps that came with mentioned new caps from Digikey are labelled '01710'. What to make of that? Furthermore, lanchile's caps are exactly the same printing/label as my new '1126E', hence it seems unlikely to me that they are from 1989. Of course, it's plausible...