What brand of capacitors are these?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got some brand new "free" caps, are these panasonic caps?:confused:

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    741 KB · Views: 279
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    884.7 KB · Views: 267
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Don't use them in a quality device. They are too old now. When you decide to use them please use a 10 kOhm series resistor and slowly turn the voltage up with a power supply. Start with 1 V and up the voltage with steps of 1 V per minute till full max. voltage. Let them be at 63 V for an hour and then slowly drain them by lowering the voltage of the power supply again slowly. They must be discharged so you won't get surprises when you start to solder them.

We used to call it "forming". It is to clean the cap internally of oxidation. When you don't do this and put them at full voltage at once they can blow which can be spectacular but unwanted !

The seals still look OK but I would use Dow Corning 744 kit on the "ring" to seal them on a PCB. Well, I do this with all large aluminium caps to avoid leakage and damage both ways.

Last edited:
Don't use them in a quality device. They are too old now. When you decide to use them please use a 10 kOhm series resistor and slowly turn the voltage up with a power supply. Start with 1 V and up the voltage with steps of 1 V per minute till full max. voltage. Let them be at 63 V for an hour and then slowly drain them by lowering the voltage of the power supply again slowly.

We used to call it "forming". It is to clean the cap internally of oxidation. When you don't do this and put them at full voltage at once they can blow which can be spectacular but unwanted !

Thanks jean-paul!!! I will not use them, but my friend ask me for them so I will give them to his first gainclone power supply. I am using Mundorf 125c audio grade caps from Germany for my power supply, they cost a lot but, they are excellent quality and very low esr. Thanks again for advise.;)

Is that a 1989 date code on them? 22 years old, the seals will be going

No, in this case they are not the manufacturer dates, but codes (batch). I just ordered and received the same caps from Digikey (yes, including yours lazybutt), and their manufatcuring coding is 1126E, hence NOT the manufacturing date. Shame that Panasonic does not label their caps with manufacturing dates like so many others do these days.

And for info: I'm preparing a large capacitor comparison test (ESR, Z, phase shift, diss. factor from 40Hz to 100kHz) for power supply cps (all at 6800uF/63V), for which reason I bought these Pana's as well.

Last edited:
No, in this case they are not the manufacturer dates, but codes (batch). I just ordered and received the same caps from Digikey (yes, including yours lazybutt), and their manufatcuring coding is 1126E, hence NOT the manufacturing date. Shame that Panasonic does not label their caps with manufacturing dates like so many others do these days.

So you don't think your new caps with code "1126E" are from the 26th week of 2011? I still need convincing....

So you don't think your new caps with code "1126E" are from the 26th week of 2011? I still need convincing....

I might think you are right about that. However, two other 22000 uF PANA TS-HA caps that came with mentioned new caps from Digikey are labelled '01710'. What to make of that? Furthermore, lanchile's caps are exactly the same printing/label as my new '1126E', hence it seems unlikely to me that they are from 1989. Of course, it's plausible...

.... However, two other 22000 uF PANA TS-HA caps that came with mentioned new caps from Digikey are labelled '01710'. What to make of that? ....
I would >hope< they changed their date code from 'YRWEEK' to 'DAYYR' or maybe 'WEEKYR,' then they would be from 017th day (week?) of 2010, and not 71st week of 2001!

You may need to investigate manf date codes further....

I would >hope< they changed their date code from 'YRWEEK' to 'DAYYR' or maybe 'WEEKYR,' then they would be from 017th day (week?) of 2010, and not 71st week of 2001!

You may need to investigate manf date codes further....

I'm with you; I was having the same thoughts, and went out to investigate further, but neither the TS-HA datasheet or Pana's website provide any date coding information. If it would be day 17 of 2010 then Digikey has sold me an almost 2 year old cap, I hope that's not the case. Perhaps I should just contact them for clarifications.

And the various Nippon Chemi-con KMH caps from the same Digikey order have no regular coding at all: 16V05L 27 and 17d01L 16, surely not from 2001 and 2005 I imagine (hope). I would think these are production batches.

A couple of years ago now (2009), I got some Nippon Chemi-con KMH from Apex Jr that have the code 65F04L, and I ASSUME they are from 2004....

But then I have some other Nippon Chemi-con (50V 68000uF) that have code '0043L 35' which I also ASSUME is 43rd week of 2000.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago now (2009), I got some Nippon Chemi-con KMH from Apex Jr that have the code 65F04L, and I ASSUME they are from 2004....

Ok, now I'm going to contact Nippon Chemi-con, because I'm at the brink of war with Digikey. Already they are permanent out of stock of polypropylene film caps, and then they also mixed up a large number of expensive resistors with 'equivalents', screwing up my upcoming projects. Im so done with these guys.

Lazybutt, that's a great research (1000 thanks !), for a good reason too... the Pana '01710' are the 22000uF/25V ones I bought for you :)

Oof, I'm happy to learn that my KMG caps '17d01L 16' are actually 10 years younger... so they are:

year: 2011
month: July
day: d (either the 4th or 30th), or should we say d-day ?
factory line: 01
factory: Lansing
lot #: 16

Huh ? Andersonix.... I know our dark winter days seem too dark and too many, but 71 days in January...? You are the hero of the financial world, 10 weeks working for a regular monthly salary :)

Now, I checked again the last '0' in the '01710' and it is a real '0' and not an 'O', like the other Pana TS-HA caps have that 'E'. The best I can make out of it is 2010 17 October, but that would brake the rule set above...

PS: I did send a message to Nippon Chemi-Con customer service last night, no reply so far. Will keep you posted if they reply. I guess I should contact Panaboys as well.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.