Silver Mica caps VS Polystyrene caps - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2003, 12:35 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I just replaced a few ceramic feedback caps in my integrated amp with silver mica caps.

The difference was not small.

I used to play this greatest hits album by Lenny Kravitz and its sound was very fatiguing on my system. The sound is now very articulate and the album is easy to listen to .

For me this is good.
Cheers
KevinLee
Old 16th September 2003, 01:56 AM   #22
mcp is offline mcp  United States
diyAudio Member

Default input cap

Hi Kevin

Glad to hear you like it.

You may want to have a look at the input. There should be a cap of small value to ground (ranging from 100p to 470p, sometimes even to 1n). If it is a ceramic, replaced it with a silver mica or polystyrene.

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Never lost one, whereas I've replaced bunches of polystyrenes
I had polystyrenes failed on me before. That could be due to using it at the limits of WDC.

Quote:
If there was any sonic difference, it escaped me.
It could be on the speaker side. Often speakers are calibrated at 1m/1w for flat response. So, most tweeters are padded down resistively. I find padding doesn't just attenuates, but dulls the music. Like losing harmonics.

My approach is not to pad the tweeter and build the speaker from there. I find it so much more "lively". The only component I pad is super tweeters, and ever so slightly. As for 1w/1m flat response, I abandoned that long time ago. It should be restricted to near field monitors in recording studios only.
Old 17th September 2003, 02:41 PM   #23
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Hi,

Is it easy to locate feedback caps in an amp - would one need a service manual? Are they typically ceramic types?

mcp,
We seem to have strayed slightly off-topic here, but what resistors do you reccommend to minimise quality loss from a tweeter? (I only need 1ohm in my current ones)

Cheers,
-Simon
Old 17th September 2003, 02:56 PM   #24
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Oops, kinda forgot my main point!

I replaced two mylar caps in my cd player output with silvered mica, actually it was a slightly different value to 'tailor' the treble roll-off. The sound was only slightly changed, it got more relaxed, but that could be more treble roll-off than cap type...

After reading this thread I think I will replace the rest with silvered mica. I was going to use polystyrene as I thought these might be better, but as I've started with mica ones, I may aswell finish with them...

-Simon
Old 17th September 2003, 03:01 PM   #25
mcp is offline mcp  United States
diyAudio Member

NFB Caps: If you are not familiar with amplifier designs, I'm afraid it can be quite hard to tell.

Ceramic nfb caps: Normally in lower cost amplifiers.

Tweeter Resistors: Normal 5W ceramic if I need to pad and less than 1 ohm.
Old 14th August 2013, 02:12 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

so the conclusion is better silver mica than polystrene like Wima MKP or FKP?
Old 14th August 2013, 03:16 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Neither of those Wima caps are polystyrene, they are metallised polypropylene and film foil polypropylene respectively. I think the criticism of polystyrene is of its reliability in high temperature environments particularly.
Old 14th August 2013, 03:24 AM   #28
jcx is online now jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

compensation caps need to behave to low MHz - requires extended foil with shorting termination

given proper construction, attention to temperature limits - polystyrene is expected to be lowest in measurable distortion, dielectric absorption compared to polypropylene next, then NP0/C0G ceramic overlaps to the good side Silver Mica, both varying by manufacturer

teflon is for all practical purposes just not available in compensation cap values

I would use NP0/C0G in preference to Silver Mica - Mica is on average worse in measured properties, and is a variable natural material with substantial depletion of the sources that may have been responsible for their "sound" reputation

Last edited by jcx; 14th August 2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old 14th August 2013, 10:49 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkynoel View Post
so the conclusion is better silver mica than polystrene like Wima MKP or FKP?
sorry for my bad remember. MKP and FKP is polypropylene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post

given proper construction, attention to temperature limits - polystyrene is expected to be lowest in measurable distortion, dielectric absorption compared to polypropylene next, then NP0/C0G ceramic overlaps to the good side Silver Mica, both varying by manufacturer
did your comparison of the distortion is right?
(lowest) polystrene < polypropylene < NP0 / C0G ceramic < silver mica

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
I would use NP0/C0G in preference to Silver Mica - Mica is on average worse in measured properties, and is a variable natural material with substantial depletion of the sources that may have been responsible for their "sound" reputation
I don't know why several store sell the silver mica in the higher price than polypropylene. any suggestion?
Old 14th August 2013, 10:59 AM   #30
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkynoel View Post
did your comparison of the distortion is right?
(lowest) polystrene < polypropylene < NP0 / C0G ceramic < silver mica
Difficult to be categoric and general: PS are the best provided they are of good quality, and silver mica can be highly variable, sometimes almost equalling PS.
On the other hand, there are also very poor quality PS: Suflex is the first name that comes to mind (they are now out of business, probably for a good reason)

Quote:
I don't know why several store sell the silver mica in the higher price than polypropylene. any suggestion?
They are much more expensive to manufacture

Hide this!Advertise here!