Audiophile grade electrolytic capacitor query

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just curious if anyone is aware of a good place to buy high-grade, audiophile replacement Electrolytic capacitors. I had a cap blow today on one of my amps. And while the manufacturer is going to send out replacement caps Monday, I'm still curious in finding some high quality, audiophile caps to keep handy and also to see if there is an improvement. Essentially, I'm on the hunt for a few extra 100v and 160v caps in either 100uf or 47uf flavors. From what I can gather, Black Gate used to be the pick of the litter, and I've read about just how great they mate with my amps, but they are no longer made and are not easily found. So I'm hoping someone here might have some thoughts on this and where I should be looking.

Thanks in advance.

Manufacturer references

AmpliFire,

Thanks for the reference to the site for purchasing the caps. Do you or does anyone else have any recommendation for which are the best sounding caps? I note that Black Gate was considered some of the best. But since they don't manufacture those any more, I'm curious what is now the primo cap.

Thanks!

Do you or does anyone else have any recommendation for which are the best sounding caps?

It really depends on the actual function, location and what kind of circuitry. For example, power supply caps or signal coupling, or decoupling, etc. Semiconductor amp or tube amp, and so on.

Then, this forum is loaded with overheated threads about what are good/best caps, I wouldn't dare to make any statement/judgement here (to avoid online slaughter :) ). I could recommend to search and read around here.

If you give some more detailed information what the actual function and kind of amp it is, then we could make some 'suggestions'. The voltage you are looking for seems like a tube amp?

Furthermore: what is their size ? That's another criteria when looking for other caps, because you would like them to fit in existing brackets or available space on PCB and inside the chassis as such. There are many manufacturers and models, but the size will narrow down (even direct) your choice. Hence, details please.

Nichicon came up with a whole range of new audio grade caps which are quite good (KG or KW for example) when ending the black gate series. I tend to agree with Tinitus, black gate was also a hipe. Oooops, here we go. I didn't mean/say that. Let's keep it factual and get the details on your current caps first.

cheers

Last edited:
Just curious if anyone is aware of a good place to buy high-grade, audiophile replacement Electrolytic capacitors. I had a cap blow today on one of my amps. And while the manufacturer is going to send out replacement caps Monday, I'm still curious in finding some high quality, audiophile caps to keep handy and also to see if there is an improvement. Essentially, I'm on the hunt for a few extra 100v and 160v caps in either 100uf or 47uf flavors. From what I can gather, Black Gate used to be the pick of the litter, and I've read about just how great they mate with my amps, but they are no longer made and are not easily found. So I'm hoping someone here might have some thoughts on this and where I should be looking.

Thanks in advance.

even if you have blackgate caps, it will still explode if used incorrectly......no such thing as audiophile electrolytic caps....

you have to find out why your caps exploded in the first place, what was the problem? if there was a problem, replacing it with a blackgate will not make the problem go away....

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Agreed that the reason for the exploding cap is needed, maybe they were very cheap knock offs or faulty in some way, but it might be that they were not of a suitable voltage too *shrugs*

The two brands I like are Mundorf and Jensen, your preference on each sound (if it is audible) is subjective and dependent on the use, and personal taste, and maybe using a Panasonic cap would be just fine.

Black Gates have now been out of production for some time, I wouldn't bother...

Last edited:
The best that I can figure out on why the cap blew was that we had a power blip - outage and it cycled quickly. When I turned the amp back on it popped. So I'm attributing it to the power surge/cycle. The cap is in a tubed amp. It is running off of the 300B tube socket. the black gate was what the manufacturer recommended as the "best". So that is why I was looking for one. The prior cap was a Panasonic.

I don't know guys. There are so many variables to a good sounding amp. I thin your layout and grounding strategy should be first. Component wise, many will argue, but just use GOOD quality components. Don't buy $5 1/4W resistors and $10 capacitors. Think about what you are doing!!! Use some good quality Japanese capacitors like Panasonic FM/FC/FR and metal film resistors.

Humble rates the Obbligato aluminum foil and film oil MKP 630V caps fairly high.
Humble Homemade Hifi
From my own experience with various caps, his information has been helpful.
For myself, I look for a balance between price and performance, something rated between 6 - 10 that is not outrageously priced.
Everyone has their own price threshold though, you have to make that call.
The Jantzen Superiors also look interesting, and you can even get them from Parts Express.
I plan on using them on an upcoming amp project myself.

Yes, this is not clear, on some Chinese store I found information that copper ver. is rated on HUMBLE and gold is even better. Who knows. I've ordered gold ones (15uF/250V)and will be able to tell something more comparing to SCR and other cheaper caps.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.