need binding posts for #4 wire, mount on steel plate

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please help me find some CHEAP binding posts with large holes for #4 wire and insulated mounts so I can mount them on a steel plate.

I was going to use some from Madisound G-POSTB and G-POSTR (black and red) and figure out some way to insulate them from the steel plate, but they're out of stock. Those were $2.75 each and took #4 wire. But they're shipping from China via sea and expected in-stock in 3 weeks to a month.

If I search on 'insulated bindingposts' I find ones that are insulated from the human or protected against backing into a metal wall or something, but I'm not finding ones meant to mount on a metal plate.

What I'm REALLY after would be a really good connector for the back of an amplifier's metal chassis, but I'm mounting them on a steel plate on a speaker. These speakers are gong to have Neutrik sockets and bindign posts, but I want the binding posts to be hefty and take large wire. But I don't want to pay a ton for Mundorf or WBT. I don't need gold, I don't need platinum, I don't need cadmium.

I need 8 pairs, and I don't want to spend a lot of money.

What do you guys use on the steel chassis when you build an amplifier? Is there anything out there that's good AND affordable and takes large-guage wire (not just a spade)?

The steel plate for these speakers is not recessed very far, so these biding posts might stick out and be vulnerable (not good), so I'm not even sure it's a good idea to have them. But with 2 sets of binding posts on each speaker, I could also use the bindingposts with slotted copper plates to wire two speaker arrays in parallel so I could use 2-conductor neutrik cables or 4-conductor neutrik cables on the 4-conductor neutrik jacks.

And when I use these PA type speakers at home I have large-guage oxygen-free wire. I used to use really expensive cadmium screw-expanding locking banana plug adapters that took large-guage wire and plug into the banana slot in binding posts that would have been too small for the guage of wire otherwise. Monster might have made some cheaper similar adapters to use big wire on speakers with small 5-way binding posts.

I've been looking for the same thing, same reasons.

You got me thinking though.... bare wires are not the best approach to something that will be reconnected many times (like PA speakers).

Still, why are all the nice binding posts meant to work in wood? The knurled bit to keep them from twisting precludes their use on a thin metal plate. What do people use on amp chassis?

I think we shop from speaker suppliers, amp bilders they shop from industrial electronics catalogs (probably online). I just don't know/have any.

The speaker parts suppliers sell steel recessed plates for conectors, but expect you to use 1/4" TS/TRS or Neutrik Speak-On, not 5-way terminal binding posts, on the commercial speakers that use such plates.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Did you say cheap? Have you looked at Apex Jr?
Apex Jr jacks

4AWG?! Hmm. You could use a crimp-on ring terminal for attaching the wire to something like this:
http://www.apexjr.com/images/GoldPlatedDualBindingPosts.JPG

I would try the $1.99 style "Gold Plated Dual Binding Posts," as the $1.00 style are too flimsy. I like being able to use a nut driver for tightening speaker cables, and I prefer insulated posts (not all metal) to help prevent accidents....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.