How to measure Q factor of a x'tal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think most crystals have a Q in the neighborhood of 50,000 or more. Not easy to measure accurately because you won't have the resolution to tune a generator by a small enough amount. I think Q is also equal to the voltage gain of a resonant circuit, but then you have the problem of measuring the gain without loading the crystal or over driving it. Do you have a sweep generator that covers the frequency range?

I read that most crystals have Q value around 10K-20K. Someone I know is using a network analyzer and his own jig to measure the Q of a crystal with the crystal soldered in place of the test circuit. Unfortunately, he won't tell me how and beside, I do not have a network analyzer...

I know there are specialized test instruments to measure crystal parameters, but I don't know their operating principles. A decade or so ago I played around with an HP LCR meter and a few crystals, but concluded that accurate measurements weren't practical. The L/C ratio is very large, and the losses are very small, and the instrument just didn't have the sensitivity or resolution. (As I recall, I even experimented with adding some carefully measured series and parallel inductors and capacitors, in the hopes of detecting small changes that could be used to infer the crystal's characteristics.)

Dale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.