Rank Inexpensive Great Quality Metal Film Resistors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2011, 05:32 PM   #1
ridikas is offline ridikas  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Rank Inexpensive Great Quality Metal Film Resistors

Sorry for another resistor thread I would like to get to the bottom on who makes the best sounding and the best quality metal film resistor at a reasonable price. I've narrowed it down to this list:

Roederstein Resista MK3 (are they magnetic?)
Welwyn RC55Y (are they magnetic?)
Philips/Vishay BC MRS25 (are they magnetic?)
Vishay/Dale RN55 (are they magnetic?)
Vishay/Dale CMF55 (are they magnetic?)
PRP PR9372
Holco (old style)
Holco (new style) (are they magnetic?)
Takman Rey
TKD CM2
Caddock MK-132 (are they magnetic?)

Maybe someone can clarify on the magnetism on the ones in question.

So which is the very best sounding resistor for audio? And which is the overall best, performance, specs, sound, etc. Let's all share personal experiences, opinions, and rank the resistors on this list from best to worst.

Also, for the moment, let's please stay away from any Vishay Precision Group products, tantalum resistors, carbon film resistors, and carbon resistors.
Old 26th November 2011, 08:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I tried a few Philips MRS25 from my stock and they got stuck on a magnet. Also tried a few Holsworthy H8 (old style) and they did not.
But I must say that I can not hear any difference between the two. So most of the times I use the MRS25 or MBB0207 as they are the cheapest for me to buy.
Old 26th November 2011, 09:02 PM   #3
PauloPT is online now PauloPT  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to PauloPT
Most audio grade resistors are made to sound in a particular way the manufacturer wants; they have a specific sound signature. If you want a neutral and transparent sound (the closest to "no resistor") go for Vishay Dale CMF55 / RN55 - the only ones I found even more transparent were the bulk foils but these are out. On the other hand if you are looking for a specific sound signature then you have to audition each brand/type of resistor and I decide wich you like best.
Old 26th November 2011, 09:38 PM   #4
PauloPT is online now PauloPT  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to PauloPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauloPT View Post
On the other hand if you are looking for a specific sound signature then you have to audition each brand/type of resistor and then decide wich you like best.
Sorry for the typo, too late to edit.
Old 26th November 2011, 10:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Just buy whatever you want at a reasonable price. I never look at brands when I buy, just get whatever specification I need at the cheapest price.

There was no observable difference between the two KrellKlones I built, one with Holcos and one with standard RS Components branded metal films. If you need to spend your money on high ticket items to make you feel good, by all means go ahead, I'm happy for you, but if not, then don't fret.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 26th November 2011, 10:58 PM   #6
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Nelson Pass is a "guru" who pays close attention to parts selection, biasing for low distortion - he however doesn't seem to obsess over Resistors - just advocates adequate power derating, metal film RN series

active parts, circuit topology, individual (active) device variations, layout all are much bigger effects than choosing between good metal film R manufacturers

people claiming resistors have "sounds" usually refuse to use DBT - are actively hostile to controlled listening testing techniques
Old 26th November 2011, 11:33 PM   #7
NYCOne is offline NYCOne  United States
diyAudio Member

I really like the MRS25s. 0.6W, cheap, and 50PPM for most values.
Old 27th November 2011, 12:44 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The only relevant spec imo for metal film resistors is thermal drift (besides, obviously, power dissipation and tolerance). I don't see the mechanism through which magnetic resistors would be any less than non-magnetic ones. EMI does not discriminate between different conductors. Nor does Johnson noise.

vac

Last edited by vacuphile; 27th November 2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 27th November 2011, 01:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I believe Linear Audio 2 had an article about this topic. Might be worth checking out.
Old 27th November 2011, 01:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The article referenced above is the most complete test of resistors that I have come across with actual distortion measurements. Do not hesitate to check it out. Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!