140V on a 18V transformer's secondary!!!???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I assembled my gainclone in it's new case today, and before connecting the whole thing, I tested the diode bridge (without load)

On the scope, between the + and - of the positive bridge, I got a sine wave, 140V p-p !!!! And 50Hz instead of 100. And the signal is a sine, instead of a rectified sine
I attached a picture of the diode bridge. I measured between the left and the center point.

I don't even know where can 140V come from! It's a 2x18V trafo, so 25V p-p

help!

Attachments

• dscf0010.jpg
    dscf0010.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 194
I tried, without hoping any good result

I added a 9.5K resistor between 0 and +, and the same for the - side.

Now I have a clean full wave rectified sinusoid, 100Hz, 25.2V
It works OK now, thanks Till :)

But I'm very affraid of the results I first got
140V p-p, 50Hz sinusoid (not rectified), but the secondaries were clean 50Vp-p (18V RMS) sinusoids

I only have 100V shottky diodes, I wonder if they could have been damaged.
Imagine if I had the caps connected :bigeyes: my 50V caps would have exploded

I'm seriously thinking about keeping those 9.5k resistors on the diode bridge, to always have a load.

the strangest thing is that the voltage across each diode was much higher that the secondary, but each diode didn't have the same voltage graph (on the scope). each one was veeery different from the other

till said:
my 100V schottkys have no prob with a 87V power supply in my BZLS. Dont you think the caps are resistive enough? or do you use only filmcaps and no electrolytics?

Nice, I use the same diodes as you ;)
The caps could have been a high enough load, too.
But I take care of my panasonic FCs, expensive stuff compared to what I usually use

If you measure direct to a rectifier bridge with 10 Mohms you must have REALLY good diodes with low leakage etc. Those diodes don't exist...in power version.

You must have 100 uA- 1 mA at least in order to get a clean signal.

Note also that your bridge is capable of dissipating 2-4 W only if you don't have any cooling. That's not much current, 2-3 A.

peranders said:
If you measure direct to a rectifier bridge with 10 Mohms you must have REALLY good diodes with low leakage etc. Those diodes don't exist...in power version.

You must have 100 uA- 1 mA at least in order to get a clean signal.

Note also that your bridge is capable of dissipating 2-4 W only if you don't have any cooling. That's not much current, 2-3 A.

Ok, but how can I get 140V!!??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.