looking for a chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks all. I wound up getting a RMCS9018BK1. It's not perfect but it'll hold me over until I decide what I really want or have the time to whip up a custom design for something like protocase.

Now all I have to figure out is how to get a perfectly square hole cutout for the LCD...

If the size were close I was going to suggest a Greenlee chassis punch. Greenlee makes a punch 2.559" wide but it is 1.378" high. I have a nibbler that I've used for rectangular holes, but in my hands the edges turn out a little rough. Another method is to drill a row of small holes along the inside of the rectangle, break the center free, and file down the sharp points.

You could always get a milling machine or maybe use a milling bit in the dremel. I don't have a milling machine but I have a new drill press, and if I were wanting to make a rectangular hole I would consider abusing the drill press with an edge milling bit. Worst that would happen is a broken bit in your face and a ruined part and damaged drill.

Perhaps the best advice is to avoid parts that require non-round holes.

If your prime concern is "front panel look-alike", why not use a standard rack chassis, and go with a front panel from (ta-daahhh.....) Front Panel Express. With FPE, you design it on line, and they will cut/mill/drill/anodize/stencil/label to your design. You sould be able to get a pretty good match to your DAC (depending upon your draftsman talents). FPE prices are pretty reasonable (aluminum panels....) and they provide fast, fast service.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.