Nice RPG (rotary position generator) knobs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pardon my ignorance, is the RPG an encoder? There are both relative and absolute encoders, I would assume this to be an absolute. The encoders I work with - data wheels for control panels mainly - have shafts that will take knobs. And chose the knob you like there.

WHen I see RPG, my first thought is rocket propelled grenade, then my second thought is role playing game.

Unless I screwed up the terms, relative would be the ones that have no set direction indicated. Like a lot of data wheels, you turn it and from wherever it was before it goes up or down. The absolute position is like a regular pot, the absolute position is indicated in the code.

Many sources of knobs, even Mouser, Jameco and such places. Certainly the surplus outlets. I contacted ROgan (a knob maker) once and got a free bag full of various knobs as samples. I work in pro audio, so I always have lots of knobs to fit various shafts on the controls of guitar amps, mixers, and other gear. If you see something on a product in the industry, you could obtain from them.

Not knowing what you have, check the following when shopping.

Shaft diameter - 1/4", 1/8", 6mm, etc.
Shaft type - solid round shaft, D-shaft (And note the flat on the D can face different directions), knurled shaft, split knurled shaft.
ANchor type - set screw? Push-on? Collet?
MAterial - metal, plastic, wood
Cosmetics - shape, color, rubber or hard, pointer or no, skirt or no, etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.