Nice RPG (rotary position generator) knobs? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2011, 11:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Nice RPG (rotary position generator) knobs?

Does anyone know of some nice looking RPGs or RPG knobs? I am using an RPG in a project for digital volume control. All the RPGs I have seen have very small knobs. Any suggestion for something that is a typical volume-sized knob?

Thanks!
Old 16th November 2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Pardon my ignorance, is the RPG an encoder? There are both relative and absolute encoders, I would assume this to be an absolute. The encoders I work with - data wheels for control panels mainly - have shafts that will take knobs. And chose the knob you like there.
Old 16th November 2011, 02:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, it is an encoder. It looks like RPG isn't common terminology outside of my old job. I would be looking for a relative encoder. Do you know of a vendor that sells nice looking knobs?
Old 16th November 2011, 11:38 PM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

WHen I see RPG, my first thought is rocket propelled grenade, then my second thought is role playing game.

Unless I screwed up the terms, relative would be the ones that have no set direction indicated. Like a lot of data wheels, you turn it and from wherever it was before it goes up or down. The absolute position is like a regular pot, the absolute position is indicated in the code.

Many sources of knobs, even Mouser, Jameco and such places. Certainly the surplus outlets. I contacted ROgan (a knob maker) once and got a free bag full of various knobs as samples. I work in pro audio, so I always have lots of knobs to fit various shafts on the controls of guitar amps, mixers, and other gear. If you see something on a product in the industry, you could obtain from them.

Not knowing what you have, check the following when shopping.

Shaft diameter - 1/4", 1/8", 6mm, etc.
Shaft type - solid round shaft, D-shaft (And note the flat on the D can face different directions), knurled shaft, split knurled shaft.
ANchor type - set screw? Push-on? Collet?
MAterial - metal, plastic, wood
Cosmetics - shape, color, rubber or hard, pointer or no, skirt or no, etc.
Old 17th November 2011, 05:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

small knobs----Just do some add-on thingies and make it big.

Gajanan Phadte

Hide this!Advertise here!