Speaker Cable Length

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm currently running about 30 feet of 14 gauge cable to each of my two front speakers from my 250 wpc Crown Comtech 400. I'm running 2 shorter sections of 16 gauge cable (20 feet each) in parallel with the 2 14 gauge runs to a Jamo Sub 250 (250 watts). Thus these speakers are all running at 4 ohms. The Comtech has a rated damping factor of 1000. Balanced line level sound is also traveling about 25 feet through 16 gauge cable from my DAC to the inputs on the amp.

Would I benefit from moving my amplifier out of my closet across the room and closer to my two front speakers? I could reduce the cable runs to about 12-14 feet each. I would also reduce the runs from my DAC to the amplifier by 14 feet or so. The runs to the subwoofer would be a bit longer but I would run 14 gauge cable in that case. If there is absolutely no difference, I would prefer to keep the amplifier in the closet since it has a fan that I guess could activate if I'm really going overboard with my music.

I've heard conflicting opinions on the length of cable runs. While 14 gauge cable should be sufficient for 30 foot runs at 4 ohms, I've heard that I can boost my overall damping factor and dynamics if I move the amplifer closer to my speakers.

What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
on my 8 ohm SP2-XT speakers, using very difficult top octave grand piano source, I can hear the difference between 8' of 10 gauge extra flexible SO cord, , and 25' of 16 gauge zip cord. It is in the treble I hear the difference. I like the 10 gauge better, sounds more like my real Steinway console between the speakers. This is at my normal 1 to 1.5 v listening level on the CS800s amp and the djoffe mod tip mod ST120 amp. On the St70 tube amp (original, new caps, rectifier, & O.T.'s) the amp distortion covers up the effect.

Hi, The shorter the cable you use the better. I find 4mm the best for overall sound. Going thicker improves bass response a the cost of treble and a thinner cable gives more treble but less base. Solid core cables give a brighter sound while stranded cable sounds fuller and to my ears more relaxed and musical.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.