Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2011, 01:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Incompatible XLR connectors?

I have some old GR test microphones and related stuff with male XLR connectors. I found some Switchcraft female XLR connectors on a surplus panel and tried to use the two together. It appears the body of the male is too big to fit the female, though the pins and spacing and key are fine. It's not just tight, but about 10-15 thou oversize. I thought all XLR connectors would be compatible. What have I got?
Old 6th November 2011, 02:32 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Chinese ones? They don't always bother too much about boring things like dimensional tolerances.
Old 6th November 2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've never seen XLR that don't fit, ever. Do the male connectors have a brand name?

(as long as it's the same number of pins)
Old 6th November 2011, 03:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Ditto here, and I suspect Pano and I have seen an awful lot of XLRs between us.

Who are GR?
Old 6th November 2011, 05:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You know, GR might be General Radio, that was a long time ago. I suspect the creeping of the standard as the production went overseas and metric. I have repaired equipment that used US developed crydom SS relays. The japanese brand ones look just the same but the mount holes are just a little smaller, so you have to use a 4 mm metric screw into tapped holes, the US #10 machine screw won't fit. Clever Japanese, always looking to boost sales.
Old 6th November 2011, 06:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Indianajo, I think you've got it. GR is of course General Radio, and I'm a rabid collector of the stuff. In fact, if you Google "General Radio Corp." you're apt to get me instead. The male parts are GR, and integral with their mics. The female parts that don't fit are newer Switchcraft. The GR parts are probably from the 1960s or maybe early '70s, and I don't know who made them for GR. I just wasn't aware that the dimensions might creep over time, but that certainly seems like the case.

Thanks!
Conrad
Old 8th November 2011, 03:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
I have some old GR test microphones and related stuff with male XLR connectors......It's not just tight, but about 10-15 thou oversize. I thought all XLR connectors would be compatible. What have I got?

Ampenol MC3M My old Shure 55's use them.

Micdoctor.com - Micdoctor's Step by step instructions for an old Shure 55 MC3M connector cable

Bout $20 at Allied

Hide this!Advertise here!