Incompatible XLR connectors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some old GR test microphones and related stuff with male XLR connectors. I found some Switchcraft female XLR connectors on a surplus panel and tried to use the two together. It appears the body of the male is too big to fit the female, though the pins and spacing and key are fine. It's not just tight, but about 10-15 thou oversize. I thought all XLR connectors would be compatible. What have I got?

You know, GR might be General Radio, that was a long time ago. I suspect the creeping of the standard as the production went overseas and metric. I have repaired equipment that used US developed crydom SS relays. The japanese brand ones look just the same but the mount holes are just a little smaller, so you have to use a 4 mm metric screw into tapped holes, the US #10 machine screw won't fit. Clever Japanese, always looking to boost sales.

Indianajo, I think you've got it. GR is of course General Radio, and I'm a rabid collector of the stuff. In fact, if you Google "General Radio Corp." you're apt to get me instead. The male parts are GR, and integral with their mics. The female parts that don't fit are newer Switchcraft. The GR parts are probably from the 1960s or maybe early '70s, and I don't know who made them for GR. I just wasn't aware that the dimensions might creep over time, but that certainly seems like the case.

Thanks!
Conrad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.