Help ID Transistor Pin-Outs Please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I thought it'd be easy to find pics of the pinouts for these two types of transistor but the info I can find is, to me at least vague but probaby more than fine for the experienced tech savvy builder. Am I correct that these :-

MJE15030G : from front view - is B C E with the tab as C

MPS-U07 : from front view - is E B C with the tab as C

MJ15003G / MJE15031G : viewed from pinout side : ??? (no idea)

Any URL refs with actual annotated diagrams would be really great - then I can keep them 'on file' as I build on my small reference library.

Thanks in advance for DIYaudio members help. Mike.

These datasheets from On Semi are on datasheetcatalog.com On has bought out motorola's discrete parts line. The datasheets don't actually discuss the tab connection to collector, but the On Semi MJ plastic parts I have are connected that way. Finding insulators for the TO-247/plastic "to3" was a ***** and I misordered twice, since Keystone, the usual suspect, hasn't updated. Real TO3 insulators don't fit them. Newark/farnell has an in house mica insulator kit that fits, though. Thermalloy is selling a greaseless TO247 insulator kit, but I couldn't figure out how to buy it from mouser or newark either.

Last edited:
Look at the datasheet.
If you still cannot understand it, then come back with a specific question ref. that specific datasheet

I've looked at the datasheets and it seems (to me) that all I can find are pin numbers like 1,2,3 but they don't say which pin is which. I hoped that a member could look at my 'translation' of the data that I've found and tell me if the pinouts I posted on the specific transistors is correct or wrong. Sorry guys, I have tried to 'interpret' the published datasheets and maybe I'm either stupid or looking in the wrong places which is why I asked if the following was right or wrong:

MJE15030G : from front view - is B C E with the tab as C

MPS-U07 : from front view - is E B C with the tab as C

MJ15003G / MJE15031G : viewed from pinout side : ??? (no idea)

Yes I'm very old and very slow but I am learning - or trying to. Thanks, Mike.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/motorola/MJE15030.pdf

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet2/9/0poixsw25z1285riq5adiwgru0yy.pdf

Cannot find a datasheet on the original MPSU07 and MPSU57 transistors.

Last edited:
Well, you are right about the MJ15003. the datasheet I have doesn't explain what 1,2,3 are. If you look at the TO3 cans from the leg side (bottom) from the long end, the base is on the left. the flat bottom is always the colletor. I don't have the datasheets on the other 2 and don't want them, but I would say "pin end, tab down" when describing how to look at them. Most plastic with heat sink tab devices are B,C,E but some early ones were E,B,C. I was hoping when I bought my recent stuff that they had solved the collector tab problem requiring an insulator, since most datasheets don't discusses this connection, but apparently not.

Last edited:
Thanks i'jo. I have to replace the MPSU07/57's on an amp - these are horrible transistors to work with - I just have to look at them crosseyed and the leads break :( I understand that pin end, tab down for the TO 220 types (etc) is better than viewed from the front, but not so good for a TO3 so I tried the 'view like this' way. My oops? Thanks again to all, Mike.

Well, you are right about the MJ15003. the datasheet I have doesn't explain what 1,2,3 are . . .
For both the MJ15003 and the MJE15030 the pinout information is buried in the fine-print of the package drawing, on the last page of the datasheet.

Dale

Attachments

• MJE15030_pinout.jpg
    MJE15030_pinout.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 65
  • MJ15003_Pinout.jpg
    MJ15003_Pinout.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
And if memory serves me, if you look at those MPSU types, there is a tiny little E B C stamped into the metal tab. The letters are over the pin that corresponds.

Every bipolar TO3 I have ever seen has the same pinout, and every bipolar TO220 I have ever seen has the same pinout

every bipolar TO220 I have ever seen has the same pinout
The difference between a TO202 EBC and a TO220 BCE is not obvious to us amateurs out here working from catalogs and stock shelves of local resellers. I had replaced dynakit TO5 EBC stuff with NTE49 and 50 which were EBC, and was very perplexed when I later got ahold of a TO220 BCE. Now we have the internet, but guessing the package from the dimensions is still requires some skill, particularly on exploded or rusted or house number stuff.

Well yes, if you don;t know what package you have, you can;t rely on a listing of pinouts. I can;t for the life of me never remember the pinout of the TO92 BC series, like BC550, but I myself never had trouble differentiating TO220 and TO202. But once you can identify TO220, you can feel secure in knowing that all of them are pinned out the same for bipolars.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.