Metal Film vs. Bulk Foil resistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just choose metal resistors.
They include metal film, metal foil, metal wire, etc. But not metal oxide.
The type of metal will have a big influence on temperature coefficient and on working temperaure range. Get the resistance into the required range/tolerance. I see tempco typically in the range 5ppm/C and 100ppm/C and see tolerance in the range 0.01% and 1%

After that it comes down to parasitics. It's the parasitics that make any resistor slightly different from a perfectly ideal resistance. It's the parasitics that can and do change the measurable performance of the amplifier.
Now compare your most expensive resistor type with a standard metal resistor. Any differences in sound quality will be down to parasitics, if you can hear any difference in a well designed circuit.

Last edited:
I did find some of the $24.00 and up resistors. Caddock. I didn't purchase them.

What was surprising, though perhaps it shouldn't be, was that
some of the Ohmite's had such low current noise at such low frequency.

Has anyone found 5ppm/C and 100ppm/C and see tolerance in the range 0.01% and 1%, below the 2.00 USD each price point towards the more precise resistors and for non-inductive?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.