Updating 555 timer chip. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2011, 06:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Updating 555 timer chip.

Would there be any benfit to replacing an older 555 timer chip with a more modern unit?

This unit in question is in a mid seventies reciever, and I believe is part of the tuner section. (At the very least, I can't imagine what it would do for the pre or power amp section )
Old 28th October 2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I can't imagine what it does in the tuner either...

I would say no, leave it be. Reason why, it may be used as a pulse generator/monostable etc and replacing with a low power version would alter it's characteristics slightly maybe needed a realignment of something else.

You need to know what it does ?

I have never come across commercial kit that used a 555 tbh. Could it be used as a negative rail generator (charge pump) ?
Old 28th October 2011, 06:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It's not hugely important, really. This is an old, low-power reciever (Lafayette Lr310)I've had my eye on to refresh once I got the money to do so. The goal here would be to improve performance.

Thanks for the answer though. I never realized that there were so many different variations of this chip. The one in question is a metal can type, something I've never seen done with an IC. "C555a 2"
Old 28th October 2011, 07:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It is most likely not a timer IC! It is an rf IF IC also called a 703 originally by Fairchild!
Old 28th October 2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
It is most likely not a timer IC! It is an rf IF IC also called a 703 originally by Fairchild!
Never mind, replacing it with a plain 555 might have interesting results, like converting an old analogue tuner into a top class DAB receiver. You never know.
Old 28th October 2011, 11:56 PM   #6
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm willing to believe Simon, but if we have to have a 555 timer IC, I could see it as a delay for a speaker relay or similar application. Or as a blinker for some indicator light.
Old 29th October 2011, 05:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well well, this has turned out to be an interesting discussion.

I took another look at it, and it is on the edge of the tuner, where it ends and the amp begins (they're on the same board). I opened up my little tiny Integrated amp, which is also a Lafayette, and it does not have one of these.

The little metal can chip in question was made by NEC, and the reciever itself was made between 74 and 78.
Old 29th October 2011, 05:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The original NE555 timer was Signetics, not Fairchild. I don't remember a TO5 like can version. I remember P & D(ceramic) dips. I do have an original Signetics catalog but can't reach it.
Old 29th October 2011, 06:30 PM   #9
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Supply on pin 8 and ground on pin 1 would go some way to identifying it for sure.

There are only a few configurations the 555 is used in normally so easy to tell from the parts around it.

Close up pic of the chip and surrounding area maybe...
Old 1st November 2011, 02:42 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

It's quite strange that there's a NE555 in a receiver. Maybe it's configured as a trigger, or flip-flop, controlling buttons :-P

Hide this!Advertise here!