Questions about cables... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2011, 01:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Questions about cables...

I have been making some of my own audio cables for a little bit now and i just have a couple questions. I have been using some gepco cable with 2 lines and a drain wire. I solder the red lead to the pin, and I solder the drain to the ground of the RCA connector. On the source end, I solder the black end with the drain on the ground (to eliminate ground loops).

Is this suitable for subwoofer cables as well? Will this work for video cables? Or do I need to look into coax cables?
Old 18th October 2011, 03:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

video usually uses coax or something more exotic. I get video RCA cables for $1 at the resale shop and use them for audio some. Huge surplus since the VCR scrapout.
Subwoofers need fat wires more than any wire layout. No RF (radio frequency) implications of sub-woofers. Look at he alphawire.com tables for wire carrying capacity, then figure the amps of your subwoofer by I=sqroot(P/R) where p is power and r is nominal impedance of your subwoofer. I is current like in the tables. Fatter wire than the limit gets better control of the speaker by the amp. (damping factor).
Old 18th October 2011, 03:40 PM   #3
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Is it a powered sub or not?
Old 18th October 2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

That method of cable construction won't do anything for ground loops, which are caused by a different mechanism.

Hide this!Advertise here!