Here's a good problem for you (non-audio related)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to find a circuit to replace a relay with a 120VAC coil. The relay was used to sink a DC signal to ground. I need to find a solid state circuit to replace the relay, with a cost limit of around $10- $15 US. Here's the catch: the AC line must be isolated from the DC, and it must be reversable, in case the outlet is wired wrong. I have gone over and over this, but the only circuits I can come up with will always turn on and stay on when the AC line is reversed. I was thinking of using a mosfet to sink the DC, but you can't isolate the supply, or there is no reference for the mosfet gate-source voltage! This is like a dog chasing it's tail. I thought it was an interesting problem. Maybe someone here can come up with something. Right now, I am thinking of finding a very small PC mount tranformer to supply an isolated AC signal (doesn't need to source any current- just need the voltage).
Steve

Attachments

• ssrelay.jpg
    ssrelay.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 159
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.