ELNA for Audio real or fake

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After seeing this picture, I stop buying any audio components from ebay, especially from those HK/China sellers.

Attachments

• 6_72007.jpg
    6_72007.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 884
That photo has been circulating the web for years but without much explanation. I was reading somewhere, can't find at the moment, that somebody did this for fun. First of all, that cap if installed would probably blow away or make other damage to circuit. So I don't believe that anyone could be that crazy to make such fake thing and sell to people. What is more strange about this photo is that is the only one so far of that kind on web, and by further looking can be seen that the only one can is open (or never been closed) as there's no damage to the can at all.

However, I have no problem with Chinese stuff, whether is complete device or parts, and after all every company could complain and report fake products if sold on eBay.
cheers

fake parts.....?

You get what you pay for.... The Chinese make fake everything! They make the outside look excellent, BUT, the inside quality is poor. They're looking to make money anyway possilbe. They have no respect for copyrights or care of consequents... Money, money, money... Lie, lie, lie... is the game... Support your authorized suppliers....

You get what you pay for.... The Chinese make fake everything! They make the outside look excellent, BUT, the inside quality is poor. They're looking to make money anyway possilbe. They have no respect for copyrights or care of consequents... Money, money, money... Lie, lie, lie... is the game... Support your authorized suppliers....
My local suppliers sell 99% of Chinese goods (for more money usually)

I don't see where's the point of accusing the whole country for fakery? China is producing goods for entire world, and many famous brands have relocated factories there, and as I have mentioned if any item is found to be fake there is way to report them, but not like this.

Who wants to buy extra quality will not go to ebay and search for cheap parts (and then complain of fakery) ;)

That photo has been circulating the web for years but without much explanation. I was reading somewhere, can't find at the moment, that somebody did this for fun. First of all, that cap if installed would probably blow away or make other damage to circuit....
cheers

That was exactly kind of thing happened to a China made amp when I was trying to repair it many years ago.(didn't have DC at that time, otherwise could have taken some photos as a good souvenir of bad experience)

That amp didn't use this kind of fake caps, but it has a huge looking transformer enclosure, inside of which 80% space is filled with cement. On the output stage, it looked to have 10 pairs of mosfets on the heatsink, but after a closer look, 9 pairs have no legs, they were just installed there for decoration purpose. The amplifier looked heavy duty, felt heavy duty, but it was actually a heavy pile of shi****t, and both transistors and transformers got blown off after a couple of hours usage.

There are some respectable Chinese manufacturer making respectable equipments, but I will definitely avoid buying anything from unknown ebay seller from HK/China for any critical components, since most of those have to be fake at that kind of price.

I totally agree with what crispycircuit said in his post.

I have two amplifiers - "no-name" China brands, two pre-amplifiers, one HDCD player bought directly from the sellers in China on ebay, and have zero problems with those for the last two years of use. In fact they work and sound amazing.
Harman/Kardon HD990 (Made in China, as all HK products nowadays) bought locally from company dealer skips when reproducing not so perfect CD's, even some new ones.
Now I want to replace some caps in my Yaqin preamp, and possibly in amplifiers, but not because those inside are bad, but for fun and as hobby, and all will buy via ebay. Some are already installed.
If I want to spend extra money I would rather buy NOS tube, than one overpriced cap.
cheers

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There is a large problem with counterfeit parts in the electronics industry today and not all are made in China.
I would say though that it is risky to purchase parts from any source where you cannot verify the provenance of the parts - that would unfortunately include a good number of eBay sellers as well as some less careful jobbers and vendors. I haven't found capacitors purchased on eBay to be particularly cheaper than say Digikey, Mouser or Allied Radio, and with these merchants have some idea of the distribution channels.

Most commodity electronic components are made in China these days and those made by reputable vendors whether Chinese or international are just fine at their respective quality point, it's the ones that you cannot vet their origins that are the problem, get them from someone who can categorically state that they came from where they were represented to come from.

The difference you will find between brand parts made in China and no-name parts made in China is in the level of quality control used. Harmon Kardon can produce a high quality product in China because it ensures that the final product functions as intended. Some no-name Chinese-built things don't always function as advertised or fail sooner.

The difference you will find between brand parts made in China and no-name parts made in China is in the level of quality control used. Harmon Kardon can produce a high quality product in China because it ensures that the final product functions as intended. Some no-name Chinese-built things don't always function as advertised or fail sooner.
Is this replay to my post?
If so, I perhaps was not so clear (due to language barrier). I said that famous brand Harman/Kardon (who has the factory in China) sell products around the world not always of the best quality. My CD player, that I bought this year from the official dealer in country, does skip during reproductions of not so perfect CD's (whatever "perfect" supoosed to be). On the other side, my HDCD MHZS CD33G that came directly from factory in China runs all CD's smooth no matter how old or scratched they are.
I hope I did clear this situation fair enough :)
cheers

When buying from E-Bay have a look at how much trading the guy has done and his feedback.

YES - There are the even more unscrupulous guys that fake even their feedback but if a lot of feedback has been received from normal purchasers, it is fair to say that that guy is probably a bonafide trader.

Time vs Money

When I'm spending my TIME, EFFORT, and MONEY for a quality project. I want to KNOW I'm using real parts. I don't want to second guess or wonder when I put full power to the amp if it's gonna blow or ruin my speakers or the quality of the sound is lacking due to Ebay parts. It's really sad, because maybe some Ebay sellers are honest. I do understand if you want to experiment for fun the use of cheap parts. I'm lucky to have Mouser, DigiKey, Allied, availible to me..... And yes! Most parts are made in China, but under the quality control of companies that are known for quality....

Checking everything for value and loss is the best way to catch fakes and have some peace of mind. I look forward to more of AmpliFire's test results. In general, you get what you pay for, if you're lucky! Caps of unknown heritage from the big auction site seem risky. Caps from the well known manufacturers that have been around for a while will serve you well and give you the performance shown on the data sheets. "Audio" caps are mostly snake oil. I've been pushing measurement for a while now, but with limited success. IMO, it doesn't matter how new a cap might be, if the losses are increasing it's going bad and needs to be replaced ASAP. If it's a decade old and showing stable loss and value, the chances of that suddenly changing are very slim.

Last edited:
Hello all.
I am audjade on ebay.com.
I found this post.
I am very sorry.
I have to re-examine the this capacitive 73V 8200uF TONEREX.
I found it is a fake.
It is ELNA capacitors but not a TONEREX.
This is my mistake.
They are too new, and from a supplier I trust, so I did not double-check.
Because of this incident, I have to re-examine all my inventory.Ensure that no counterfeit capacitors.
I am also a diyer, I like HiFi. Disgust fake capacitance.
This kind of thing, I'm sorry.I also suffered a loss.
But I will do my duty, voluntary recall of the capacitor.100% money back to the person that bought it from me.
Buyers can contact me to see this post at ebay.

Hello all.
I am audjade on ebay.com.
I found this post.
I am very sorry.
I have to re-examine the this capacitive 73V 8200uF TONEREX.
I found it is a fake.
It is ELNA capacitors but not a TONEREX.
This is my mistake.
They are too new, and from a supplier I trust, so I did not double-check.
Because of this incident, I have to re-examine all my inventory.Ensure that no counterfeit capacitors.
I am also a diyer, I like HiFi. Disgust fake capacitance.
This kind of thing, I'm sorry.I also suffered a loss.
But I will do my duty, voluntary recall of the capacitor.100% money back to the person that bought it from me.
Buyers can contact me to see this post at ebay.

Hi Audjade,

Thanks for being honest and posting on this forum. I was the one who contacted you and grateful you replied. Please see my message to you on Ebay

Regards
Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.