"Multilayer" capacitors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The other day i went shopping for parts for my amp.... the JLH uses a 470nF cap in the input, but i want to extend the low end a bit, so i decided to go for 1uF. Now, when i asked the guy for "something to get 1uF non-polarized", he gave me these 1uF caps... 2x2x1mm :eek: .

So, i asked them "wow! those are small... you know what kind of caps are these?" and he said "um, 'new' ones... some kind of multilayer technology or something". I measured two of these and readed .891uF each, which is impressive given their size. Voltage ratings are unknown, all that's written on them is the tiny '105'.

Any info on these? Will they perform correctly?

hi

also try polyprpylene or polystyrene type caps.
some folks prefeer paper in oil caps ( i never tried out)
but im not interested to try it!

thanks

you can make a jumper with i k resistor (on tube case but !!!
if some dc offset appears tube or transistor will not like & get angry !) that is called dc coupled.

richt

Lisandro,

What you are referring to must be these very smooth, hard and glossy looking capacitors. They come in blue colour generally and have very high voltage ratings, in the order of kVs. These are ceramic types that are epoxy resin coated. However, I have not seen these in 1uF range.

If your capacitor is thin and flat, perhaps, blue or beige in colour, they are multi-layer and are of the plasic variety. They sound very good. I use 1uF and 2.2uF, both 5mm pitch, regularly for input decoupling. They are just as good as any plain or metalised polyester, polycarbonate, polypropylene types. I have compared the former with the latter types from WIMA, Matsushita, EVOX, Thomson etc., and the sound does not degrade. There might be more exotic ones from Solen or others that might be better, but......

So just go ahead and try them out.

This one's yellow, if that helps :) So it's a plastic one, that's good. I'll let you know how it performs; it's right at the input so if it degrades the signal it should be very apparent.

Food for thought: i did some maths, and if you could mantain the capacitance per volume of this little thing, 10000uF could be fitted in about 3/5 the size of a regular "can" cap... and that's not polarized... dunno about the voltage rating through...

Hi all

These are indeed ceramic capacitors. Aperentely there are now two sorts of ceramic capacitors, but I have forgotten the names.

The ones Samuel Jayaraj mentiones (the bleu ones) are Sebatits caps (or something quite alike). They are better then "normal" cermaic disc caps, but I would recommend to use them only as a decoupling cap for digital gear.

For analog I would follow the recommendation of Samuel, where my personell favorite is the polystyrene. But that one will be difficult to find in the 1 µF range (and expensive if you find it).

Forget about "audiophile approved parts", they are way to expensive. Buy quality industrial parts for the same price, and you will be far far better of.

A very interesting site on the subject :

http://www.capacitors.com/pickcap/pickcap.htm

Hope this helps

Greetz

Wim

capacitors

Hi,

I suggest you check the RS or Farnell catalogs. The metallised 5 mm pitch polyesters "small rectangular grey boxes"by Rifa Evox are good and so are the open ended stack foil polyesters(ugly as hell but sound wonderful!) by Siemens. They come in values up to 10uf! Hope this helps.

ckt

Ok, back to this topic. I checked with a local electronic distributor and these are, indeed, PLASTIC caps (polyester apparently), and not multilayer. The dielectic/conductor arrangement itself it's microscopic, and beats the heck out of me how they did it but it works. Voltage range is comparably low, 30V.

To my ears they sound as good as any polyprpylene cap i've tried. Down here they're about ar$1,10 each (us$.35 aprox.), and i've already got a few for my preamp!

Attachments

• caps.jpg
    caps.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 309
Lisandro,

I have advise in the "Everething else" section, in "Sound of capacitors", that Electronics World & Wireless World have initiate a set of articles about distortion in capacitors. In the June issue and next.

Please, read this articles and all your doubts about capacitors are solved.

If you have very low space for a film capacitor, tray with a non-polarized electrolitic, as the Panasonics that can be find in Farnell.

The caracteristics of distortion are best than ceramics. Except NPO.

Your only election in ceramics are the NPO (or COG) have almost the same caracteristics of distortion as the Styroflex (Polyestirene).

Happy days,

Raúl Couto.

If you check out the thread recently titled "Black Gate's Are JUNK" you will find a couple of my posts buried within on the topic of a multilayer ceramic cap sold by Farnell, AVX brand ( I forget the precise detail but I posted them).

These were a 50 volt rated 10uF cap that was about 12.5mm wide, 10mm high and 2mm thick with the leads exiting at the bottom edges as they would in a common greencap.

These babies sound very nice and were recommended by HiFi World magazine a few years back as an often overlooked component with a great sound. I've only used them couple of times and liked what I heard. YMMV

Drew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.