"Multilayer" capacitors? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2002, 05:05 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
Thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 25th January 2002, 05:14 PM   #12
_Wim_ is offline _Wim_  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Hi DIYman

Although polyester caps are good, I wouldn't really recommend them. From all the film caps, they are the lowest quality, but of course still much much better then ceramic or electrolitic.

Greetz

Wim
Old 19th June 2002, 06:19 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Ok, back to this topic. I checked with a local electronic distributor and these are, indeed, PLASTIC caps (polyester apparently), and not multilayer. The dielectic/conductor arrangement itself it's microscopic, and beats the heck out of me how they did it but it works. Voltage range is comparably low, 30V.

To my ears they sound as good as any polyprpylene cap i've tried. Down here they're about ar$1,10 each (us$.35 aprox.), and i've already got a few for my preamp!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caps.jpg (43.6 KB, 262 views)
Old 19th June 2002, 06:36 AM   #14
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

They look exactly like some ceramics I can buy here. So I'm a little doubtfull of them being polyester, since I've got some 50V 100nF polyesters that are alot larger in size. But hey, if they sound good...
Old 19th June 2002, 06:49 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I had the typical "roll" 400v polypropylene stood off the board originally; replaced these in and there's no diference in the sound whatsoever.
Old 19th June 2002, 09:35 AM   #16
raul_77 is offline raul_77  Europe
diyAudio Member

Lisandro,

I have advise in the "Everething else" section, in "Sound of capacitors", that Electronics World & Wireless World have initiate a set of articles about distortion in capacitors. In the June issue and next.

Please, read this articles and all your doubts about capacitors are solved.

If you have very low space for a film capacitor, tray with a non-polarized electrolitic, as the Panasonics that can be find in Farnell.

The caracteristics of distortion are best than ceramics. Except NPO.

Your only election in ceramics are the NPO (or COG) have almost the same caracteristics of distortion as the Styroflex (Polyestirene).

Happy days,

Raśl Couto.
Old 19th June 2002, 10:37 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

If you check out the thread recently titled "Black Gate's Are JUNK" you will find a couple of my posts buried within on the topic of a multilayer ceramic cap sold by Farnell, AVX brand ( I forget the precise detail but I posted them).

These were a 50 volt rated 10uF cap that was about 12.5mm wide, 10mm high and 2mm thick with the leads exiting at the bottom edges as they would in a common greencap.

These babies sound very nice and were recommended by HiFi World magazine a few years back as an often overlooked component with a great sound. I've only used them couple of times and liked what I heard. YMMV

Drew

Hide this!Advertise here!