Wooden, carved front panel - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2011, 04:43 PM   #11
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
but with a laser you will have blackened edges and engraving. It contrasts well, but if you don't want the black, don't go with the laser.
The blackened edges and field are to be expected. There is also deposition of combustion products onto surrounding areas. My source informed me to apply the chosen finish onto the woodwork first, thus sealing it and preventing the smoke and ash from entering the pores. The residue wipes off of the surface of sealed wood.

I used the services of a graphic arts designer to obtain the files needed to guide the machine work.
Old 12th September 2011, 12:33 PM   #12
Fenris is offline Fenris  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed LaFontaine View Post
The blackened edges and field are to be expected. There is also deposition of combustion products onto surrounding areas. My source informed me to apply the chosen finish onto the woodwork first, thus sealing it and preventing the smoke and ash from entering the pores. The residue wipes off of the surface of sealed wood.
Of course. The deposits just wipe off or might need a light sanding. I was refering to the burned edges of a cutout or field. If what you want is merely a relief without contrast, a laser isn't appropriate. I don't finish first for a few reasons - most finishes are flamable and/or toxic when burned and even though the lasers are vented and cut plastic all the time, I don't necesisarily like to add more toxins to the environment if I can. Also, it will need to be refinished anyway to cover the burned part, so why do it twice? Maybe use sanding sealer for the pores, but no need for a full finish.

Hide this!Advertise here!