X2 capacitors in audio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2011, 04:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default X2 capacitors in audio

I recently purchased a preamp kit that uses class X2 MKT capacitors for coupling stages in the signal path. As X2 capacitors are used in safety/suppression, are they really suitable for use as coupling capacitors. If they are then how would class X2 metalized paper capacitors perform as signal coupling capacitors.
Old 11th September 2011, 12:55 PM   #2
just another
diyAudio Moderator

X2's are often polypropylene which is considered desirable for signal coupling, however MKT is polyester which is frowned upon in some circles. I'm not sure that I personally would be able to tell the difference (though I personally would only use polypropylene if they would fit just in case)....

I used X2 metalized paper (polypropylene) caps for the caps in my amps output network. If you are thinking of replacing them, have a look at element14 (formerly farnel) or rscomponents and look for polypropylene caps. You should be able to find something with the same pinout as an X2 cap (27mm I'm guessing).

edit: someone with better understanding of cap specifics, and able to make more sense of the datasheets may give a reason why X2's may or may not be suitable for coupling duty.

Tony.

Last edited by wintermute; 11th September 2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: add comment about datasheet.
Old 11th September 2011, 01:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

X2s are normal metallised plastic capacitors, which are specified to clear shorts safely, without burning,
There is nothing wrong with them for coupling except the lack of a fancy brand

Hide this!Advertise here!